Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Copies Kate (a little...)

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 10 Jan 1996 07:13:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Tori Copies Kate (a little...)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

jdpierce@teleport.com (Jonathan Pierce) wrote:

> >Robb,
>      I'm not sure how much of the above is quoted matieral and how much is
> your commenting on it and forgive me if I'm trodding over ground already
> covered in this group; I'm new. I'm not sure where the Tori is sounding
> like Kate debate is going. I mean, they certainly have a similar timbre to
> their voices but the content of their songs is strikingly in opposition.
> Kate is a consumate romantic, her songs send chills down the spiine
> because they reach for precious moments in the lives we lead or wish we
> did. Tori wraps herself in a nail covered vest of reality based in the
> loss of romanticisim. Tori writes about disfunction, rape and loss. Her
> songs are chilling in a different way. I'm a fan of both and I suppose
> that's more than a coincidence but I worry a bit that the ongoing
> comparison of them is implying that Tori is copying Kate and I really
> doubt that. Yeah, I could use a new Kate Bush album about now too...
> Jonathan

	All the material you copied was quoted from rec.music.tori-amos,
including the headline, believe it or not. Only the fourth paragraph
(which you'd deleted) was mine. Agreed, that Tori and Kate are
thematically as different as night and day. Musically and vocally,
however, I'd have a hard time agreeing with you.

	Robb