Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Copies Kate (a little...)

From: jdpierce@teleport.com (Jonathan Pierce)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 21:06:27 -0800
Subject: Re: Tori Copies Kate (a little...)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

> >>I thought that Tori's vocals themselves were The Dreaming-ish, when her
> >>voice gets rough on the words Caught and Dream during a later part of the
> >>song.  Sort of like the words Night and Like when Kate sings, the night
> >>doesn't like it ...
>

> >Unfortunately I haven't heard CaLS yet so I can't comment on THAT, but it
> >wouldnt' be the first time there have been little quirks and sounds on
> >her albums that are highly similar to Kate. How about "The Waitress"?
> >Listen to the background vocal when Tori sings "But I believe in peace,
> >bitch", it TOTALLY sounds like something off of "The Dreaming". However,
> > want to add that it's probably just a coicidence, because Tori has said
> >in interviews she's not too familiar with Kate's work.
>

>Robb,
     I'm not sure how much of the above is quoted matieral and how much is
your commenting on it and forgive me if I'm trodding over ground already
covered in this group; I'm new. I'm not sure where the Tori is sounding
like Kate debate is going. I mean, they certainly have a similar timbre to
their voices but the content of their songs is strikingly in opposition.
Kate is a consumate romantic, her songs send chills down the spiine
because they reach for precious moments in the lives we lead or wish we
did. Tori wraps herself in a nail covered vest of reality based in the
loss of romanticisim. Tori writes about disfunction, rape and loss. Her
songs are chilling in a different way. I'm a fan of both and I suppose
that's more than a coincidence but I worry a bit that the ongoing
comparison of them is implying that Tori is copying Kate and I really
doubt that. Yeah, I could use a new Kate Bush album about now too...
Jonathan