Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Early Poll Results (On Some, Not All)

From: nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 02:42:25 GMT
Subject: Early Poll Results (On Some, Not All)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi, everybody.  I just saw that I sent this with an email error and
that may be why this didn't get posted.  So I'm going to go ahead and
send this again and if you got two, well it's a fun post anyway.  :)
Happy new year, everybody!

Hi, Lovehounds!  Well my schedule really got busy.  But I've finally
finished tabulating some of the questions and what I'll do is post
part of it now.  Then later, I'll post the whole thing, (this will be
good for those who may not be able to read rmg over the holidays). So
thanks in advance for your patience with all the bandwidth.

IN THIS ARTICLE:

THE KATE BUSH 100
TWENTY FAVORITE VIDEOS
THE ONE ALBUM YOU MOST DESIRE (with two runner ups)
LEAST-LIKED SONGS (With special footnote)
FAVORITE TUNE KATE HAS COVERED (with two runner ups)
FAVORITE GUEST APPEARANCE (with two runner ups)

Not included but will be displayed soon:   Only one question for Kate,
how much you'd pay for a Kate concert, favorite album cover, favorite
Kate line, raves.

THE KATE BUSH 100-- from the question:  What is your favorite 20
songs?

1.    Wuthering Heights (4 votes for new vocal)                   209
2.    This Woman's Work				            175
3.    Suspended In Gaffa				            162
4.    Under The Ivy				            154.5
5.    Cloudbusting				            147.5
6.    Jig Of Life					            129
7.    Hello Earth					            128.5
8.    Breathing	(One vote for live version)	            123
9.    Night Of The Swallow			            121
10.  Running Up That Hill (one vote for live version)           114
11.  Army Dreamers				            105
12.  Waking The Witch				            104
13.  And Dream Of Sheep				98.5
14.  The Kick Inside					98
15.  The Man With The Child In His Eyes			95
16.  The Red Shoes					93 (10 votes)
17.  The Infant Kiss					93 (9 votes)
18.  Hammer Horror (one vote for the demo)		92
19.  The Big Sky						89
20.  Them Heavy People (Rolling The Ball)		84
21.  Song Of Solomon					82 (8 votes)
22.  Never Be Mine					82 (7 votes)
23.  The Sensual World					79
24.  Moments Of Pleasure				76
25.  Hounds Of Love (3 votes for the alternative version)     74
26.  Experiment IV (one vote for the 12")  			69
27.  Lily							68
28.  There Goes A Tenner				67
29.  Leave It Open					63
30.  Oh England My Lionheart				62*
31.  Deeper Understanding				62
32.  Love And Anger					61
33.  The Dreaming					60
34.  The Fog						57
35.  Big Stripey Lie					56
36.  Moving						55
37.  Pull Out The Pin					53
38.  Mother Stands For Comfort				52
39.  Watching You Without Me				51.5
40.  Ken						51
41.  All The Love					50*
42.  Symphony In Blue					50
43.  Wow						47
44.  Rocket's Tail (For Rocket)				46
45.  Eat The Music					45
46.  Babooshka						44
47.  Under Ice						43.5
48.  Delius						43
49.  Houdini						40 (with 4 votes)
50.  Night Scented Stock				40 (with 3 votes)
51.  And So Is Love					37*(with 5 votes)
52.  In Search Of Peter Pan				37*(with 3 votes)
53.  The Morning Fog					36.5
54.  December Will Be Magic Again			35
55.  The Burning Bridge					33
56.  The Empty Bullring					31*
57.  Be Kind To My Mistakes				31 (coin toss)
58.  Kite							31
59.  Top Of The City					30 (with 4 votes)
60.  Ne T'en Fui Pas					30 (with 2 votes)
61.  Rubberband Girl					29*
62.  Oh, To Be In Love					29
63.  Sat In Your Lap					28.5
64.  One Last Look Around The House Before We Go	28
65.  The Wedding List					27*
66.  Constellation Of The Heart				27 (with 4 votes)
67.  You're The One					27 (With 2 votes)
68.  Under Ice						26.5
69.  Scares Me Silly/Really Gets Me Going		26
70.  Kashka From Baghdad				25
71.  L'Amour Looks Something Like You			23
72.  My Lagan Love 					22 (4 votes)
73.  Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake		22 (3 votes, coin
toss)
74.  You Want Alchemy					22 (3 votes)
75.  Room For The Life					22 (2 votes)
76.  Egypt						20* (3 votes)
77.  Violin						20* (2 votes)
78.  Un Baiser D'Enfant					20 (coin toss)
79.  The Saxaphone Song				20
80.  All We Ever Look For				18 (2 votes)
81.  Nevertheless (You'll Do)				18 (1 vote)
82.  Get Out Of My House				16 (3 votes)
83.  Something Like A Song/In My Garden		16 (2 votes)
84.  A Rose Growing Old/Feeling Like A Waltz/It Hurts Me 16 (1 vote)
85.  Rocket Man					15
86.  While Davey Dozed/Davy				14
87.  James And The Cold Gun (one vote for live version) 	13*
88.  Brazil						13
89.  Heads We're Dancing				11
90.  Reaching Out					10*
91.  Ran Tan Waltz					10 (coin toss)
92.  Home For Christmas					10 (coin toss)
93.  Between A Man And A Woman			10
94.  Feel It						  9
95.  Coffee Homeground					  7*
96.  Don't Give Up (Duet with Peter Gabriel)		  7
97.  Passing Through Air					  6
98.  In The Warm Room					  5 (coin toss)
99.  Strange Phenomena					  5
100. I'm Still Waiting					  4

Note:  There were 2 votes for "The Ninth Wave."  I gave the number
given to the vote to all the songs contained in the "song."

TWENTY FAVORITE VIDEOS-- from the question:  What are your three
favorite videos?

1.   Cloudbusting						26
2.   Experiment IV					16.5
3.   The Sensual World					12.5
4.   Suspended In Gaffa					12
5.   Running Up That Hill					10.5
6.   This Woman's Work					  9
7.   The Red Shoes (From TLTCTC)   			  5.5 (coin toss)
8.   Lily (From TLTCTC)					  5.5
9.   And So Is Love (From TLTCTC)			  4
10. There Goes A Tenner				  3.5
11. The Infant Kiss (Chris Williams Montage)		  3*
12. Hounds Of Love					  3 (2 votes, coin toss)
13. Rubberband Girl (MTV alt. version)			  3 (2 votes, coin toss)
14. Army Dreamers					  3 (2 votes)
15. Wuthering Heights (one featured on "Whole Story")	  3 (coin
toss)
16. Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate hugging)	  3
17. Love And Anger					  2.5
18. The Big Sky						  2 (2 votes)
19. Rocket Man (finger-pointing video)			  2 (coin toss)
20. The Man I Love					  2
      Them Heavy People					  2

IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE ALBUM (or mini-album). . .

1.  The Ninth Wave					  9
2.  The Dreaming					  6.5
3.  The Sensual World					  3

LEAST LIKED SONG

1.  Violin						  3
     Rubberband Girl					  3
     Big Stripey Lie					  3

I'm not breaking the tie on this one (since it's number one and since
these are the only songs that received more than one vote).  Songs
that were voted as least liked but never voted as anyone's 20
favorites or any other category:

Why Should I Love U (Her collaboration with Prince)
Full House
Shoedance (Extended mix of "The Red Shoes")
Not This Time
Dreamtime (Instrumental to "The Dreaming")

FAVORITE SONGS KATE BUSH HAS COVERED

1.  Rocket Man						   8
2.  Candle In The Wind					   5
3.  The Man I Love					   4

FAVORITE GUEST APPEARANCES

1.  Don't Give Up (a duet with Peter Gabriel, on his album "So")	11
2.  Do Bears . . . ?  (a duet with Rowan Atkinson from Utterly,
Utterly Live:  Comic Relief)					  4
3.  The Seer (a guest vocal on Big Country song from their album of
the same title)							  3

While I'm the conductor of this poll, and would like to be attributed
for conducting it, I consider this poll to be the property of all
Lovehounds and who have my permission to include these results on
their pages if they wish (especially since I don't have one).  Of
course, this poll will also be in the general archives.

Total number of Lovehounds this time around-- 27  (We'll do better the
next time someone runs one of these.)

All ties were broken first by anyone who wanted to change their votes
or vote for more songs (indicated by an asterisk), then by number of
people who voted on the song, and then by a flip of a coin.  (All
tails in the air but when the penny landed it's still dancing . . .
argh!  Got to get a better coin and one not so evil!  :)

Titles with slashes indicate different titles given for the same demo
recording.  Versions featured with a number of votes represent a
minority.

Commentary on the results:  It appears that eighteen years after the
fact,  "Wuthering Heights" is STILL the Lovehounds' favorite, her most
successful single to date.   "Cloudbusting" clearly won by a landside,
with Kate's retelling of Peter Reich's "A Book Of Dreams" and the
guest star of Donald Sutherland.  When it came down to minialbums,
"The Ninth Wave" beat "The Dreaming."  The winners of least liked
songs clearly had some disagreement with other Love Hounds since all
three of the tunes are featured on the top 100,  Kate's covers of both
Elton John tunes captured almost half of the voters, period.  And
while Kate has guested more often than we seem to remember, "Don't
Give Up" is our favorite, hands down.  Much to my surprise, no one
voted for her duet with Midge Ure ("Sister and Brother"), but that's
what happens when one choice is available, I guess.

The rest will be displayed after New Years'.  A BIG THANK YOU  to all
who voted, and also thanks to Robert Little (are you still out there?)
for his contribution, early on.  I am very curious how this poll rests
compared to the Lovehound Conventions' poll from last year.  I'm sure
tastes can change over time.  :)   And Happy Holidays to everybody!
Especially since December Will Be Magic Again!

Stormin' Norman'

Oh it's quiet inside.  Here in Oscar's mind.