Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sensual World: new thought on "noise burst"

From: nplains@passport.ca (Steve Sauder)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 00:26:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Sensual World: new thought on "noise burst"
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <9512170826.AA28377@rigel.cray.com>, btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan
Dongray) wrote:

> Andrew Gough wrote:
> >      I'm speaking about a small sound the occurs between the wedding
> > bells and the beginning of the music.  Right in the gap one is a short
> > noise that I thought previously was a short burst of noise (like a
> > "bssst")--which really annoyed me as a very audible example of poor
> > engineering on the album.
> >      So now I'm thinking the "swop" is intentional--perhaps as a way
> > of signaling the beginning of the music.  Imagine someone swinging a
> > sword quickly from vertical to horizontal to indicate "begin".  The
> > song then has a new construction:  wedding bells--swop--(transition,
> > begin)--music starts.
>
> Whatever the sound is (I see what you mean about swishing sword), it
> definately is part of the music. It clearly comes through every 4th
> beat on the instrumental version (track 5: aspects of the sensual world)
> for quite a while.

Hi!

I too wondered what this "swop-ing" sound was, which comes through quite
clearly if you know what you're listenning for, even on the album version.

I checked the liner notes for the song, and the last item is "Whips: Paddy Bush"

Aha!  Problem solved - Paddy simply flipped a whip or two around the
studio in time to the music and - voila! - "swop-ping" sounds!  That Paddy
- first the digeridu, then the valiha, now - the whip!  I wonder what
he'll turn into a musical instrument next?

Best regards,
Steve.
Steve Sauder                              nplains@passport.ca
North Plains Systems Inc.                  905.272.9186 phone

"Take the huskies to the ice..." - Kate Bush