Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Two questions...

From: dougrogers@icis.on.ca (doug rogers)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 16:51:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Two questions...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <48v9fk$l4@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
UndrToad@ix.netcom.com (The UnderToad) wrote:

>In article <48ugn5$opf@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, tyrell@ix.netcom.com says...
>>Firstly, what's a "gaffa" and why would you want to be suspended in it?

>Before (if?) this gets started... Within the last couple of months, one
>of the Cleveland, Ohio television stations, on a morning news-magazine
>show, had a couple of guys promoting their book on "1001 Uses for Duct
>Tape" (or words to that effect).  They had clothes embellished with the
>stuff, cooking utensils constructed with it, etc.  The show's host
>pointed out to them that on the show they used (what he called) "gaffer's
>tape" to fasten-down his lapel microphone cable against the back of his
>shirt.

The only fresh addition to the Gaffa thread in years!

The guy was Red Green (in real life a guy named Steve Smith) and with his
comic partners Patrick McKenna (ex of Second City) and Rick Green (ex of
the Frantics), they do the Red Green show, taped here in London, Ontario,
and set in the mythical Possum Lodge, a hunting lodge. They never kill
anything, and it seeems you have to be a guy to appreciate the humour. It
is not raunchy, vulgar or sexist at all. It is so odd, says Steve Smith in
interviews, but most women just do not "get" the show. Most "guys" do.
These characters basically just goof off around the lodge and do nothing in
particular.

They Fix Everything With Duct Tape.

The show is viewable on PBS stations in the states, I think.