Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I LOVE LAURIE!!!

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 12 Nov 1995 13:37:39 GMT
Subject: Re: I LOVE LAURIE!!!
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

"Simon Thibault" <STHIBAULT@cat.ustanne.ns.ca> wrote:

> No you're not the only one who loves Laurie Anderson. I find it odd
> that she isn't mentioned very much on this list since she was on the
> same album as Kate singing with Peter Gabriel (i.e- So).  I think
> that she is one if the most innovative users of multi-media and the
> like.  And you are right, Language is a virus, but William S.
> Burroughs turned it into a hallucinogenic....

I also like Laurie -- was just listening to 'The Ugly One With the
Jewels' tonight and 'Strange Angels' last night. I prefer 'Strange
Angels' because it reminds me of my late partner and soulmate, Michael
Dowell who 'introduced me' to Laurie several years ago. Now that album
and it's soothing title track really speak to me.

Kate is asked if she listens to Laurie somewhere in Cloudbusting, and
I believe she said 'yes.' Much of Laurie's stuff isn't as 'musical' as
it is ironic, though. I think for that reason I don't play her over
and over like I do Kate. Once you've 'gotten' the irony or joke, it
sort of deflates and nullifies the reason to listen to the track
again.

Robb

'Cause we don't know where we came from. We don't know what we are...
   And you? You're no one. And you? You're falling. And you? You're
            travelling. Travelling at the speed of light.'   -- L.A.

'And there's something bright, travellin' fast...'           -- K.B.