Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Spam Info (no KonTent)

From: "Mark A. Semich" <mas@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov MVM-A.D. 15:18:00 -0400
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 95 15:17:59 -0500
Subject: Spam Info (no KonTent)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Whenever I get one of these magazine SPAMS (which seems to happen at
least once a day), I complain to the postmaster of wherever the current
attack originated.  One of them wrote back with an interesting
suggestion:

Begin forwarded message:
=====

We regret that you received electronic mail of an inappropriate nature
from our site, ixc.net, about magazine subscriptions.

This was out of our control as we provide free internet accounts to
those who need them.

We have turned off our program to allow automatic creation of new accounts.
We now check each user's phone number and are not opening multiple
accounts for the same individual.

We wish you to do something for us.
We have the address where the individual sending out this
material receives his physical mail.
Please send a letter of complaint to the postmaster at
   Postmaster
   Staten Island NY 10312
Regarding the person at this address:
   Magazine Club Inquiry Center
   Att. Internet Services Department
   P. O. Box 120990
   Staten Island NY 10312 0990

=====

I don't know if writing here will do any good, but if a lot of people do
it'll probably increase the chances of this sleazeball getting in
trouble.