Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Only 14 Days Left! (For the Poll)

From: Norman Buchwald <jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu>
Date: 1 Nov 1995 22:30:42 GMT
Subject: Only 14 Days Left! (For the Poll)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

                  "Whoever you are out there, thanks for listening.
                  And please be kind to my mistakes.  Because I'm not."

                                  --Kate Bush (from TWW)

Hi, Lovehounds.

     I just wanted to let all of you out there know there's only 14 days
left until the polls close for the Kate Bush Questionnaire.  The value of
this poll that I've given to you all just for fun (and which I've been
more than happy to count) is to demonstrate not only that we are "kind"
but we hardly consider these tracks "mistakes."  And while only a
"baker's dozen" of us have voted so far, we've come up with 88 different
songs, and almost everybody has come up with a different least liked
song, showing we hardly think of any of her music (or videos, etc.) to be
"mistakes" but rather "works of art."  (And there's hardly any agreement
for "weaknesses" or "turn offs," demonstrating her strength as an
artist).  So to get those who really wanted to think about this (as a
couple of you have indicated) and for those that have not made up their
mind whether or not to vote, and to those who were not planning to vote
but want to see the results and want the results to be all the more
representative, the time is NOW!

Please email to me or post here.  I haven't heard from Robert Little for
awhile, and I have a sneaking suspicion that someone, (maybe trying to
foil this poll) has given him a pair of red shoes and he's unable to be
reached!   :)  (Either that or he got trapped underneath the Ninth Wave!
 And is now Under Ice!   :)   )   So anyone who has sent their votes to
Robert should send them to me as well.  People's friends or family who
are also Lovehounds (Like Marc Bengston and Bryan's daughter) are
welcome, but I would prefer they write their messages, themselves.  While
you can't change your votes, any songs that you later send to me that
you've forgotten will be given (first one half a point if you voted a top
20) an asterisk that will count if it is tied with another song.

Okay, here's the poll:

1)  What is your top 20 of Kate Bush songs?  (Number one gets twenty
points, number twenty one.)  Or what are your 20 favorite songs?  (In no
particular order.  Each song gets ten points.  You can vote for less, if
you wish.  But strive for twenty, if you can.)

2)  What is your top three Kate Bush videos?  (or 3 favorite.)

3)  What is your favorite album or mini-album?  (This Woman's Work does
not count, and Hounds of Love and The Ninth Wave are seen as mini-albums
in this question.  Demos, and various bootlegs and greatest hits, etc.
can be voted on.)

4)  If you could ask Kate one question, what would you ask?

5)  What is your least liked song?  (The one you love, but just not as
much as the others)

6)  What is your favorite Kate Bush cover?  No.  Let me rephrase that!
:)  What is your favorite song that Kate Bush has covered?

6a)  Since most of you thought I meant this.  What is your favorite Kate
Bush album/single cover?

---There are too few covers of Kate Bush songs and even less that we've
seemed to have heard.  So rather than have Pat Benatar win by default, I
won't count those answers.  Also Utah Saints' "cover" (sampling, really)
can be selected as a Kate Bush guest appearance, if you really like that
song.  And no Tori Amos jokes, please.  (She is an artist in her own
right, whether influenced or not!)---

7)  What is your favorite Kate Bush guest appearance?  (Guest can include
guest vocals or concert or video as well.  But on the concert or video
you have to pick one particular song.  The Fruitopia answer is okay, for
example.  But please, let's try to keep her singing in mind on this one.)

8)  How much would you pay to see Kate Bush in concert?  (And for those
in the U.S. (like me) the only chance you ever had to see her live, here,
 was at Saturday Night Live in 1978!  So keep that rarity in mind!)

9) (To post only.  Just because I have so much to do as it is).  Bryan
Dongray's Question:  What is your favorite Kate Bush line?

10)  And finally, what are your raves?  This is the question that's the
most directly about ourselves, the Lovehounds.  Mention favorite
recording artists books, poetry, fiction, tv shows, films, other types of
raves.  To reveal not only what we have in common, but more importantly
how diverse we all are!

If you only want to answer parts of the poll, that's okay, too.

The "polls" will close on the fifteenth.  This is just for fun.  (I'm a
Creative Writing major, not as Bryan once accused me:  someone working
for Kate to see if I can charge the hell out of all of you for a KB
concert!  (I wish))  I will stop collecting votes on the seventeenth (to
give the messages time, as well as taking time differences into
consideration.)   I will give you the results at the end of the year.
This is not a pernament "written in stone" poll, not really scientific or
statistical, (just adding up on a calculator and checking the results
over and over again), this poll would be different if the same peoplee
voted one year from now, let alone two months.  It's a poll of
appreciation and revelation of what the Lovehounds really like.  (There
are critics out there who have written "The Dreaming" or "Red Shoes" as
bad, for example.  But they're not necessarilly people who have time to
read, hear, and know about Kate Bush.  Like us!)  And thanks to everyone
who has voted and who have communicated with me on the internet.  It's
wonderful for me, especially here in the U.S. where Kate Bush is not as
much a household name!

                                               Keep "Eat[ing] the music,"

                                                Stormin' Norman
                                                jbuchwald@huey.csun.edu