Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Hello, Earth

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:18:02 -0400
Subject: RE: Hello, Earth
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>  >  ObKate:  Being a vegetarian, Kate couldn't spam a
>  >  mailing list.  She'd marmite it.
>
> Oh-ho! Another one who thinks there's actually meat in Spam!
> Spam in actual fact stands for Sludge, Packaged And Marketed.

   Ok, lets clear this up RIGHT NOW. Kate has never mentioned the word
"Marmite" in any interview I know of. All this "Marmite" nonsense is
due to a mis-transcription of an interview.

   The interview in question was "Delia Smith's Cookery Course." Kate
was talking about vegatarian food. At one point she mentioned, not
"Marmite" but "Marmalade," describing it as a "...gravy substitute."

   No, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense either, but it's what
she said. Watch the video and it's quite clear.

    Yes, she did spend 6 months in Australia when she was very
young. But six months is not generally considered enough time
for a non-native to develop a tolerance to substances scraped
from the bottom of beer brewing vats.

--
Chris Williams of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
chrisw@wwa.com (His)  (New address)