Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello, Earth

From: undrtoad@ix.netcom.com (P. Dale Campbell )
Date: 25 Oct 1995 11:45:24 GMT
Subject: Re: Hello, Earth
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9510250441.AA06497@chaco.com> stev0@zuni.chaco.com (stev0) writes:

>>Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu> said:
>>No.  They set up the newsgroup with a filter to trap spam, but
>>continued routing the messages to the host for Stev0, so that at
>>least =one= person  would continue to send complaints to the ISPs of
>>the spammers.  Unfortunately, his tolerance was over-estimated, and
>>he's been driven off the system.  It might be suggested that he be
>>contacted, and the situation be explained to him, but he'd probably
>>be really angry and not rejoin; d_rned if we do, and d_rned if we
>>don't.
>
>Um, so I was the Spam Watchdog?  I wouldn't have minded if
>someone had WARNED me, but, unfortunately, I can't take that
>position.  As soon as whoever is running the filters has it all in
>place, someone else can be the Bearer of Big Spams, and I
>can safely re-subscribe, and give me a call when it's all in
>place, OK?

I admit there is no smiley on <dmckiern>'s post, but I still don't
believe it.  I assumed it a joke.  (Now, if our esteemed psuedo-
moderator had posted that, instead...)  It was in the digest *I*
received, as well.

>And that's the first time I've ever seen someone self-censor
>the word "darn"!  Whoever would be offended by "Darn"
>must be a REAL fuckhead!
>
>- Stev0 the waiting

Actually, if they want to claim consistency, they *should* object to
both!  The meaning is EXACTLY the same; only the symbol has changed.
It is the semantics, not the ink or energized phosphors which offends.
Of course, this means that "d_rn" is eQUALLY offensivE! (Damn!  --  At
least it's not pronounceable! :)