Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Red Shoes

From: Craig Heath <craig@sco.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 18:46:16 BST
Subject: The Red Shoes
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

> From: mdean@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael W. Dean)
> Date: 24 Oct 1995 01:12:35 GMT

>     Let's look at it this way:  who here thinks of The Red Shoes as Kate's
> absolute best work ever?

Actually, I do.  While it's probably not the most adventurous album*, I find
it the most moving.  I am constantly astonished at the emotional resonances
Kate manages to conjure up, as much with the music as the lyrics.  Some of
it can be analysed (like the "Whiter Shade of Pale" references), and I think
it helps being "of an age" with Kate, i.e. thirty-something, but for the
most part, how and why this happens is a complete mystery to me.

Caveat: this opinion may change depending on which album I listen to next :-)

		- Craig @ SCO near London.

* considering "Big Stripey Lie", maybe it _is_ the most adventurous album!