Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE:RE:katename

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:53:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE:RE:katename
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Jose David Araujo - 941750-8 wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
>
> >I'd disagree. My own wild speculation is that posting under a pseudonym
> >would be the kind of sneakiness and dishonesty that I think she doesn't
> >approve of. I think she would certainly lurk, never posting at all. But I
> >think that if she ever did post, she would not mislead people about who
> >she was. Note that I said "wild speculation." I have no facts with which
> >to back up my statement. In fact, against that theory is the fact that
> >she has apparently written under pseudonyms for the KBC newsletter.
>
> Uh, boy...   I   wonder if you're   talking  about the GIRL   who wrote
> BABOOSHKA?  Gee, she is a million persons, and a person in one.  She is
> more  than a  single person, not   in homonimous,  but  in heteronimous
> (well, I don't even know  if this word  exists in  english: but to  all
> you, KateFans, read a portuguese poety called Fernando Pessoa. You will
> really like it.  (Kate, if you're reading this, in portuguese we have a
> lot of good poets, and musicians... and fruits too!)

There's a difference between creativity and integrity. Playing a character
in a song or even writing under a pseudonym fall in one class of behavior.
But, somehow, pretending to be someone else while she lurks around on her
fans' newsgroup, seems, I dunno ... different. Anybody know what I'm
talking about? Like how would everybody feel if you found out after all
these years that I am really Kate Bush. You'd all feel pretty weird about
it. I mean, it would be one thing if Kate popped up and said, "You know,
I've been reading this group for four years." A lot of us would be pretty
embarrassed. But if I suddenly revealed myself as Kate, well, that would
be spooky, knowing that I've not only been reading, but participating and
offering opinions about myself. I dunno, maybe it's no different. Just
random thoughts.

Stu

scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine        |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|