Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTe in/extrovert ???

From: r.eisermann@link-m.de (Ralph Eisermann)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 09:48:00 +0100
Subject: KaTe in/extrovert ???
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

I share that point of view that everyone wants to recognize
himself in an beloved idol (may I say: God/Godness ????)
Years ago (in 1987 ?) , maybe Friday or Saturday, there was
a interview with a nice, goodlookin  young lady talking
about her albums and her last recordings and videos (as X
IV).
I nearly forgot everything about this interview, but not my
impression about the young lady.
SHE is a introvert, and she makes amazing music....that was
my impression...and there was a humanist point of view in
their songs...

I suddenly felt being a Kate Fan, I went to the public
library and took HoL and TKI.

some time later, I bought a CD-Player and began buying KaTe-
CDs ;)

But also this CDs do not show me a extrovert person.
I also do not think Tori Amos is extrovert.
Maybe you get a different experience on stage but on stage
you are acting, you are not the person in real life.

About similarities between Kate and Tori:
I also thing there are similarities, but this is not
plagiarism (sp?),  Tori and many modern Artists are
influenced by the female artist in the beginning 80ies,
there is Laurie Anderson, there is Kate Bush, there are some
others.
So many artists use samples of the australian digeridoo
(SP?), as Kate did in 1982 (TD). Kate and others invented a
modern use of synthesizers, not simple synth-pop, as you
could hear everywhere in this time, but in combination with
natural instruments and without too much synth-sound.
In fact, Kate was much more interested in sampling and other
digital effects, if i remember that interview right.
There is a line to me from music as "The Dreaming" to Bjorks
"Post". Kate also tried to avoid real rock-elements, except
e.g. "violin" which is a funny parody to me....
Tori and Bjork do this today, over a decade later.
So I think Kate has an influence om many artists, she also
made that gothic-look popular, so Kate was one of the
founders of the gothic-boom, starting with her Album "Never
Forever" in 1980, while I ve read several times HoL/TNW to
be gothic...
Well, there *are* reasons why you find Kate Bush in the
german "Brockhaus"-encyclopaedia...
KaTe is important artist in the contemporary culture, nobody
here can deny this, so it is just natural that others are
influenced by her style...

Just my private opinion,

CU,

Ralph