Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Song of Solomon

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 15:20:45 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Song of Solomon
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Marcus Bengtson (via Mikael Jakonen's account) said:
> About half a year ago I happened to see an old film, from the golden
> years of hollywood. The film was about the queen of sheba and king
> Solomon. (By now some of you might know where I'm going with this)
> During one of the more heated confrontations in the film (and they
> weren't arguing, if you know what I mean...) the quotes that Kate use
> in "The song of Solomon" are spoken. Now, I was wondering if anybody
> might know where Kate took the quotes from ? Could the original quotes
> come from the Bible ? Me, I tend to believe that Kate took the quotes
> from that same movie that I happened to see six months ago.

Well, some relevant lines from a version of the "Bible:Song of Solomon"
I have online:

Ch 2 vs 1	I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

Ch 2 vs 5	Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples:
		for I am sick of love.
Ch 2 vs 6	His left hand is under my head, and his right hand
		doth embrace me.

I cannot find any references to "Isolde or Marion" or a hurricane,
except for:

Ch 4 vs 16	Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; ...

and the frequents mentions of "daughters of" various places.

Looks like some direct quotes to me!

	"Write me your poetry in motion. Write it just for me, yeah"

			Bryan Dongray