Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Song of Solomon

From: kln@crl.com
Date: 13 Oct 1995 20:58:01 GMT
Subject: Song of Solomon
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Isolde and Marian are both folk heroines in traditional British stories.  Some folk tale
researchers believe legends of Marian go back to Celtic times, as Robin Hood is
an obvious Green Man figure (aka Cernunnos, Oakeanos, etc.) used as a
symbolic advocate for the people and protector against the nasty invading rulers
(the Normans.) Marian may orginally have had a more important part in these stories.

Many versions of Isolde's legend are available, such as Tristan and Iseult.  It comes
in poetic, fictional, operatic and painterly formats.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was
a Tristan and Iseult CD-Rom interactive fantasy game!

I have not been able to make any literary placement for the "hurricane" image,
but since Kate has always loved the Big Sky for flying her Kite, it may not have
a literary source.

Karen  kln@a.crl.com