Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Bush and Tori Amos

From: gerald.paetsch@dortmund.netsurf.de (Gerald Paetsch)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 95 00:04:33 GMT
Subject: Kate Bush and Tori Amos
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the articles in this group for several weeks. And from time
to time, there's always the try to compare Kate Bush with Tori Amos in a
musical sense. I mean, it's absolutely okay to ask this sort of question, but
when I read the answers... uh oh!
Okay, there *are* some similarities between Kate and Tori - they are both
female, they are both playing piano, and they both write their own songs. But
that's it, in my humblest opinion. Regarding the piano: if you know a BIT
about music, you will soon *hear*, that the influence of the piano plays a
much bigger part in Tori's music than in Kate's. I'm sure that Kate's
abilities on this instrument are there, but she doesn't show them in her music
like Tori does. Just listen to the Tori Amos EP "Past the mission", with 7
live tracks where she accompanies herself on the piano. It's great, and I
think nobody could disagree when I say that her style of playing is a uniqe
one. Now listen to Kate's music. I have to say, that I'm a *big* fan of Kate
Bush. I love her music, her style, her way of producing, etc. But when it
comes to the piano parts on her records, you have to agree that they're rather
simple in comparison to Tori's. That's okay, the more simple piano playing
works totally well with Kate's music, but that's nothing to compare Tori with.
Secondly regarding their voices: In my opinion, Kate has a totally
unmistakable voice and a very unique style of singing, but so has Tori. I
listened closely to the Tori Amos stuff I have (Little Earthquakes, Under the
Pink, Paste the Mission EP), but I *couldn't* hear any similarities between
her voice and Kate's, except one small part in the title song of Little
Earthquakes, where she sings: "And I hate elevator music". But I don't know
what other similarities between them there should be.
I think, the people who say that Tori Amos "steals" or "borrows" ideas or
styles from Kate Bush should listen carefully to both artist's music, and they
would *hear* the obvious difference. You can't compare Kate to anyone else,
and you can't compare Tori to anyone else. That's it, nothing more, nothing
less.

Regards,
Gerald Paetsch

http://www.dortmund.netsurf.de/~gpaetsch