Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate on vinyl, "Lagen's Love" and Tori

From: "Simon Thibault" <STHIBAULT@cat.ustanne.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 19:36:50 AST
Subject: Kate on vinyl, "Lagen's Love" and Tori
To: rec-music-gaffa@UUnet.uu.net

Hi everyboy,
Fisrt, to Mikael Jakonen (please tell me that I spelled that right...)
Thanks for your comments.  I actually enjoyed everything you had to
say.  The second that I started to write about Kate's lyrical content
and its interpreations, I knew I was on shaky ground.  I JUST SAID
"Fuck it!" and wrote it (again, too much Camille Paglia).  Anyways, I
think what you had to say was valid, that maybe Kate has shared her
secrets, but I also said that maybe not even know what her lyrics are
about.  Somethimes when you write something, it just feels right to
put it down on paper, you just want to let that feeling out, and fuck
knows where it came from.....But maybe Kate is very careful about
what she writes, and really is sure of her lyrics.  I don't know, but
you must admit that it brings about a interesting discussion (there
is only one thing I hate about the 'net and its that when you write,
sometimes a sarcastic, or not even serious remark is misunderstood.
I hope I really didn't offend anyone with my retorts.  I do find
discussions of this sort quite intersting though.....  I extend an
invitation to all to write me at my address (please do not
necessarily write to the amiling list, beacause I find that when a
personal discussion goes on a list, it blows out of proportion, and
all who don't know or don't really care to know what we're talking
about get ANNOYED!!!!!.  I do not want to become the black sheep of
this list.......

Somebody mentioned a Ninth wave movie script or something to that
effect.... I must know more!!!!  The title actually originates from
the Tennyson poem (which you all know) The Coming Of Arthur by
Tennyson.  Now, I have an interview with Kate Bush done in 1985 in
which she discusses why the seperation of the two sides.  The main
reason that they were seperated is because that the two sides are
like two different entities.  The passage from the poem was just
really cool, so that's basically why she called it that.  No big
deal.  But then again, maybe there is something more to it.  I doubt
it.  I'll write down that segment of the interview and post it up.

Aspects of the Sensual World-  What is it!?!  I need more info....

Marcel Rijs also mentioned Tori Amos covered, what is that....

New topic for discussion: Kate on vinyl.......
I am an avid collector of vinyl especially Kate stuff.  I have all
her studio albums on vinyl, all domestic to Canada, and a UK printing
of "The Kick Inside" (the one with the Kate on a kite).  I also have
the 12'' single of "Moments of Pleasure" in the poster bag.  I also
have the 7'' single of "Love and anger" which is presented in a
booklet with photos I presume to be of the vid....  I also have a 7''
picture disc of "This Woman's Work"  photo by John Carder Bush, with
"Be Kind To My Mistakes" ("Love" has "Ken").  I am wondering the
value of such jewels, can anyone give me an idea?  I will NEVER sell
ANY of my Kate stuff on vinyl! EVER!  If anyone knows how to get it
though, I would be extremely appreciative.

One last thing:  I absolutely love "Lagen's Love"... I once heard a
cover version of it, but I can't find out who sang it though.  It was
very distictively Irish, very Enya-like qualities (it was not sung by
Enya or Clannad, I am positive!).

Comments, questions, love letters or advice.... ( I have to stop
reading Rolling Stone)
Simon