Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Lad/Lass MAY have a point here......sigh!

From: Smith Van PRC <smithv@USAFE16.ramstein.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 13:55:00 PDT
Subject: Re: The Lad/Lass MAY have a point here......sigh!
To: "'RMG'" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 43 TEXT

KateKnight kind of slammed TLTCTC:

>            Robert Rodriguiz made the original EL MARIACHI for $7,000.
>Budget limitations are a nasty business, for sure, but any truly talented
>filmmaker can get over this hurdle.

KaTe had an even greater hurdle (IMHO):  produce a film which was
limited to songs from TRS.  Include a plot and make it interesting.

>     The first thing you do in making a film is write it. The second thing
>you do is CAST IT appropriately. Nothing more important than writing and
>acting.

Miranda Richardson was brilliant in this film, I thought.  Not a bad job of
casting her.

>     Being avant-garde is all well and good. If you want to communicate to
>a very limited, pretentious element of the "audience." Remember, though,
>that music videos are for MTV.

I'm not sure if you're calling TLTCTC a music video here or not.  It
definitely
wasn't produced for the likes of MTV, and it's not a music video, per se.

>     Films have stories. TLTCTC did not. I LOVE The Lady's music and her

While watching this film, did you not note how KaTe lost her smile, path,
and
heart to Miranda's character?  Did you ever wonder if KaTe would be trapped
in the red shoes forever?  Noticed how KaTe was able to sing back the above,
thus resulting in a happy ending?  This qualifies as a story, a plot.  And
KaTe
did a marvelous job of sustaining this plot with her songs.

>soulful performances in song. That is why the ONLY part of her "film" that
>worked for me was Kate simply sitting beside a candle and singing "And So
>Is Love."  Beautiful!

Finally we agree on something KK:  the ASIL performance was indeed
a highlight of the film.  As you said, beautiful!

Van