Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Lad/Lass MAY have a point here......sigh!

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 14:29:25 GMT
Subject: Re: The Lad/Lass MAY have a point here......sigh!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>Okay,
>
>Somewhat sadly, I have to agree with most of this..........
>>
>>               The problem is - she CAN'T direct.
>
>Well....she manages videos quite admirably but you're right in that
>/+) was a touch tragic.  I was advised to view it as though it was 'a
>bunch of mates having a laugh' which still didn't really do it for
>me..........somewhere along the line I thought there was ajoke I was
>missing.  Maybe if I f was a close personal friend it would have
>meant more. It was very 'in'.

   _The Line, The Cross & The Curve_ is *oddly* directed, but well
directed. It's not naturalistic, nor was it intended to be. It's
a homage to the original _The Red Shoes_, by Micheal Powell and Emric
Pressberger (sp?). Don't damn Kate's work unless you have seen the
original.

>>I hear Terry Gilliam is a
>> good friend of The Lady's. Why not conceive a film and score it - maybe
>> even a musical - but for goodness sakes let SOMEONE ELSE direct (and act).
>
>Uh-huh....seems good to me......Terry Gilliam.....the Ninth
>Wave.....hmmmm.  This sounds like a good time! :-)

   Terry is credited on _TL,TC&TC_ with supplying the camera equipment.

>> She knew what she was doing putting the brilliant Miranda Richardson in
>> TLTCTC. That's the ticket! Produce and compose, milady!
>
>Just another musician who thinks she can act because she's creative?
>Hmmmm........I don't know.  Lets be honest this was her first attempt
>at something more than a promo, and we all have to 'cut our teeth'
>somewhere.......most of us however don't get to put our stuff out on
>video and make cash from it......jeez am I rambling here?

   Kate didn't claim she could act. She stated that if she had the
budget, she would have hired another actress instead of being in
it. Also her presence increased the interest in the film.

   C'mon, it was your basic beg, borrow and steal production. From
all indications, the entire budget came from Kate's own pocket. I
*doubt* that Kate has made a single cent from the film. And as
a promotional piece, it was not very useful. Kate made this film
because she wanted to.

--
Chris Williams of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
chrisw@wwa.com (His)  (New address)