Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWW H E L P ! Conclusion Pt 1

From: DSearch@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 00:38:05 -0400
Subject: TWW H E L P ! Conclusion Pt 1
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
cc: uli@zoodle.robin.de, tcestes@ucdavis.edu, kln@a.crl.com, DBrockway@aol.com, TIBIRD@aol.com, dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu, aj796@freenet.carleton.ca, Ronald.Girardin@dartmouth.edu

Thanks to everyone -- 8 of you, in fact(!) -- who responded to my 8/21 query
about TWW box sets:

<<What are the primary differences between the UK, Japanese, and Canadian TWW
Box sets?  I've found the Canadian for $119, which seems like a good deal.
 But if I'm losing out in packaging or (especially) in terms of sound
quality, it's not worth saving a few bucks.>>

I can now offer something back...

I recently A/B'd The Man With The Child In His Eyes and Wuthering Heights (2
tracks chosen for differences in style i.e. ballad and a mid-tempo one, but
also for the familiarity of the material) taken from the following sources,
on mid-level audiophile equipment:

-- Japanese TKI CD (recent)
-- UK/W German TKI CD (issued ~1984)
-- UK The Whole Story CD ("Man" only, since "Heights" has different vocals)
(~1987)
-- Japanese TKI LP (early '80s)

Results...

Surprisingly, the LP was a disappointment.  Usually, Japanese pressings on
vinyl are outstanding, but when A/B'd to any of the CDs, this one was lacking
(despite the drop-dead gorgeous jacket <g>).  I listened carefully to some
LPs I've always used as reference standards afterward to make sure there
wasn't something wrong with my record playing system.  But there wasn't!

The UK TKI CD was good.  Fairly clean, good definition, acceptable
soundstage, but with a noticable digital sheen i.e. lack of depth and mild
harshness all over the place.  The UK TWS (from a few years later) was
smoother and seemed a bit quieter as well, but was generally in TKI's league.
 Both were relatively weak on the low end.

The Japanese TKI was a revelation.  Dead quiet, crystal clear, with a solid
bottom.  Kate's vocals also sounded more "there" on this disc.  It was simply
fun to listen to, for the beauty of the sound as well as the quality of the
music.

Qualifiers:  1) As it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out,
I'm somewhat obsessive (i.e. something of a lunatic) about audiophile sound
quality -- others may not be; and 2) My hearing may be a bit better than some
-- it was tested a couple of years ago and it's nearly in the hypersensitive
range.  IOW, most people probably would be quite happy with the UK discs.
 The only time I directly compared a US KateCD to its UK equivalent was
several years ago, auditioning both editions of TWS.  Needless to say, the UK
won hands down.  It wasn't even close.

But for me, the decision's made.  The Japanese TWW it is.  I've found it for
$148 new.  Which means I won't be needing the Kate CDs I have any more.  So
if anyone's interested in the following Katediscs, all in very good
condition, feel free to email me.  I'm in a generous mood!

CDs:
Japanese TKI (virtually new)
UK Lionheart (2!)
UK HoL
US TD
US TSW

Vinyl (all stored in special inner sleeves):
Japanese TKI
Canadian N4E
UK HoL 12" b/w Jig Of Life & Handsome Cabin Boy
US Experiment IV 12" b/w WH (new vocal) & December Will Be Magic Again
(assuming I can bring myself to part with that cover photo!)
UK On Stage 7"
UK Breathing 7" b/w The Empty Bullring

I'd probably part with any or all pretty cheap, so by all means let me know
if something strikes your fancy.

Thanks again for all your help.  Hope my experiment (however modest if not
borderline insane <g>) serves to inform any future TWW buyers who may be
lurking out there.

-- David Reff :)
   Dallas, TX
   DSearch@aol.com

P.S.  I'll post Conclusion Pt 2 after I've thoroughly auditioned the Japanese
TWW!