Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jane Sibbery.

From: Philip.Sainty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Sainty)
Date: 30 Aug 1995 01:09:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Jane Sibbery.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <paul.rhodes.3535.049FC0C0@liffe.com>,
Paul Rhodes <paul.rhodes@liffe.com> wrote:
>meullemees@cal.enst.fr (HARFANG) writes:
>
>>So here's my question : could you tell me the titles of the cds you prefer?
>
>Haven't heard all of them, but I'd highly recommend "Bound by the
>Beauty". "When I was a Boy" is good, too, if a bit overproduced.
>Summer in the Yukon is a compilation of erlier albums.
>
>There was a new CD out last week in the UK - I think it's called "Maria".

In (current:) order of preference:

The Walking
When I Was A Boy
The Speckless Sky
Bound By the Beauty
No Borders Here
Jane Siberry

("The Walking" is pretty constant as my favourite, but the next three
are fairly interchangable in my mind.)

(I do have a promo casette of "Maria", but I've yet to place it...
At a guess I'd put it somewhere with TSS & BBTB)

"The Walking" can get a bit of getting used to, but is an incredible
album! WIWAB is probably easier to get to grips with, and is also
fantastic.

I'm awful at describing music, so I'll not try, save to say that
"Maria" is, unlike any of her previous albums, Jane's version of
a jazz album; so if you're a jazz fan you may like to try it first,
but if you're not you'll probably prefer to go for one of the others.

Then again, all of Jane's albums are different :)

The JS home page is at http://malletp.psyc.queensu.ca/siberry/ so
you might want to have a look through it...

I hope this is of some help :)

Philip
--
Philip Sainty            |  What are your dreams?               |  _O_   Am I