Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cathy Demos CD

From: NSxxx@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU
Date: 9 Aug 1995 06:29:32 GMT
Subject: Re: Cathy Demos CD
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

DSearch@aol.com wrote:

> Just picked up a CD of The Cathy Tapes, entitled "Home Demos", on Genuine Pig
> Records, 29 tracks, with the last 5 being alternate takes and outtakes.  So
> you could say that the liner notes credit 24 tracks from the Cathy Tapes
> collection.
>
> Must admit I'm disappointed with the sound quality.  Sounds like it was
> mastered from an old LP or acetate.  A *lot* of surface noise.

Until Kate breaks down and transfers the original tapes to CD (which
is hardly likely, as I hear she thinks of this work as juvenile), Home
Demos is what we're stuck with. And it's not all that bad. I have it
as well as 'Shrubberies,' and although I think they're from different
sources (I think I hear a scratch, or 'thumping' on a track of Home
Demos that isn't on the same track of Shrubberies), they're pretty
darn close in quality. Or lack thereof.

BTW, 'Shrubberies' contains only 26 tracks, compared to Home Demos'
29. It comes in a gatefold cardboard jacket instead of a jewel box.
And although there are more pictures, they're of the 'candid' variety
(i.e. not great of Kate) and are very small. Among the 'missing'
tracks are: 'Scares Me Silly,' and the second version of 'Babooshka.'
I don't remember what the other two are (yes, two, as Shrubberies has
a demo of 'Moving' that Home Demos doesn't.)

Before selling it back, contact John Teo at

teocs@merlion.singnet.com.sg

I know he'd buy it from you.

Robb