Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Ninth Wave - Screenplay/Motion Picture

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 03:13:25 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: The Ninth Wave - Screenplay/Motion Picture
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Stev0,

Very good, you did give a good variation of Dennis's screenplay.
Although somehow I think the action does not quite fit with T9W
soundtrack, maybe you were listening to Iron Maiden's 9th wave
cover version!

Back to the real screenplay, which hopefully most of you received
with no download problems, I'd have to agree with Stev0, it was
a tad slow in places, but thinking about the music it also is slow
and is difficult to really have major ACTION to!

There was a little error in the last names in the family I thought,
they're either the Philips (as in the photo) or the Wilkersons (as
on the front door).

I did not see why the helicoptor sound at the end of "Waking the Witch"
had to be cut, since it could switch back to "reality" of a helicoptor
being dispatched and telling the fishing boat to "get out of waves...",
searchlights etc.

I thought the end was such a cliche, a real riding off into the sunset,
as in so many westerns! BUT I see how the music does really sound like
that compared to the rest of it.

On a positive note, I'd never really been able to put the various sounds
of the track into a single story as was done, I congratulate you on that.
I'll admit now when I listen to this, I see the image in my head of the
screenplay you put forward.

I noticed the family consisted of two sons and a younger daughter, this
sounds much like Kate's own family, although I hope they do not end up
in the same situation.

Bit of a downer ending, he dies, as well as his brother had, I know that
is real life, but I like happy endings, I guess he got to see his brother
again, but the rest of the family got a bad deal, two sons/brothers died.

I thought the medieval judge scene might have been better if the jury/crowd
and other non-family members had blank masks on, making it more eerie.
Or perhaps masks with his own face on, like in the RutH video.

Did not many people receive the screenplay, I've not seen much talk on it,
maybe my Love-Hounds/rec.music.gaffa connection is losing stuff, I know
some homeless people burned down some shack under a bridge, and it turned
out to be a major fiberoptic cable station for a lot of the Minnesota part
of the Internet!

			Bryan Dongray

"When the actor reaches his death,
You know it's not for real. He just holds his breath."