Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Roring za boru

From: aj796@freenet.carleton.ca (Tippi Chai)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 15:47:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Roring za boru
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: aj796@freenet.carleton.ca (Tippi Chai)

Douglas Alan (nessus@mit.edu) writes:
> (Tippi Chai) writes:
>
>>   I am unconvinced that drum syllables are used at
>>   the end of Get Out of my House.
>
> I'm wondering what you mean by this.

Sorry, I mean I'm not sure if Classical Indian drum syllables are used there.
First of all, the sound is rather muddy.  I find it a little difficult
to find matching Indian syllables for the sounds.  One version can be

Dha dhin - - - tha tha dha - - dha dha Dha ghin dha dha - Dha tit dha dha

which I got by listening to the very last repeat (when the music is almost
gone) many times.

Also in Indian music, at the end of a composition one should use a special
phrase called a "teehai", not repeat a phrase ad infinitum.  But
of course this ain't Indian music and KaTe might just be using the
syllables as sound effects (I always thought it represents someone
knocking on the door.)

I'm about 20% unconvinced - I'll have to talk to a tabla player
(Ritesh Das - for those of you on the Siberry list) to make sure.

In KonTrast the syllables in the Fruitopia ad are very clear.
--
Tippi Chai, Toronto, ON, Canada             aj796@freenet.carleton.ca
"The whims that we're weeping for/Our parents would be beaten for" Kate Bush