Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

Yesterday I met a friend, who showed me a magazine called  "Donovan's
friends, No. 1, an official Donovan publication".
It's from around 82/83 and it contains the following brief Kate interview:

"Kate Bush meets 'the lord of the reedy river'
Among many others, but in my opinion none have matched Kate Bush for her
stunning version of 'The Lord of the Reedy River'. Kate gave the song a new
angle and her interpretation was very highly imaginative. Not a lot of
people are aware of the fact that Donovan himself sings the harmony vocals
on her version, so with the help and co-operation from Lisa of the Kate
Bush Fan Club, I asked Kate how it all came about. As this is the only
cover version she has ever put on vinyl.
"I had recorded 'Sat in your Lap' and at the time I never had anything to
go on the B-side and I can remember at the time seeing Donovan on the TV. I
hadn't seen him on the telly for nearly eight years, and there he was on
quite a few programmes, it seemed everywhere I looked there was Donovan,
it was a very strange feeling, something seemed to point me in his
direction, then I started to play 'HMS Donovan' which is my all time
favourite album. It was then I decided to record 'The Lord of the Reedy
River' beacuse it's such a beautiful song. So I phoned Donovan up and asked
him for his permission to record the song, and he was so nice about it all,
that I asked him if he would like to do some harmony vocals and he said
'Yes', and of course, he did."
- thank you Kate for all your help, all the best for the future.
Unfortunately, this amazing version of 'Lord of the Reedy River' can only
be found on the B side of 'Sat in your Lap'. ..."
(unsigned)

end credits in the magazine:
"Our special thanks to all my friends in music, for all their help,
encouragement and good vibes, in the making of this magazine. They are
... Kate Bush, Lisa ...(here I left out several names) and my Lady of the
Stars Linda." Donovan.

I don't know if this is a new information for everyone, but maybe for you?

Best wishes
    Wieland