Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate video awards.

From: susanhk@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Date: 14 Jul 1995 10:06:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate video awards.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Ronald Girardin <Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:
[video award idea]

Cool... it's kinda goofy but fun, and I haven't posted anything on
.gaffa for a while, so what the heck.

Caveat: I have not seen any videos for songs after _The Sensual World_
came out in '89.  Are they on _The Line, The Cross and the Curve_?  If
not, where might I find them?  Also, on the videos I don't like, that
doesn't mean I don't like the song, so don't think I'm slamming the
music.

Any road, my picks from what I've seen...

(Drum roll)

>1. best overall video

Running Up That Hill (the real version).  I just love it.  It's the
one that most makes me think, "Ooh, I want to be Kate when I grow up!"

>2. best video "early years" (1978-1980)

Breathing.  I have to admit the video caught my attention more than
just the song, initially.

Runner-up:  Army Dreamers.  (click-click)

>3. best video "glory years" (1981-1987)

Cloudbusting.  Yes, I know I picked RUTH for best overall and it dates
from this period but this way I get to get both of them in and not
have too many ties.

>4. best video "quiet years" (1988-1994)

The Sensual World.  Mmm, yes.  :)

>5. best hairdo

Hounds of Love.  Love that upsweep, although Love and Anger runs a
close second with all those curls.

>6. best costume

What?  I have to pick *one*?  Impossible.  Even the nightie in
Wuthering Heights is enormously appropriate for the song.  Kate just
gets best costuming award all around for all videos, and I want her
cast-offs before they go to Goodwill.

>7. best dance

Running Up That Hill.  Best song to dance *to*, however, is The Big Sky.

>8. best special effects

Experiment IV.  What did you think I would say?

>9. worst video

It's a tie!

This Woman's Work.  Manipulative, boring and derivative.  If you want
to see a moving piece of film scoring, watch the original scene from
the movie She's Having A Baby.  Much more powerful and interesting.
Although that one-take shot is an interesting piece of film direction.

The Man With the Child in His Eyes.  Yawn.  We've seen it, Keef.  Wipe
the Vaseline off of the lens, would you?

>10. song you wished there was a video for

Another tie: Get Out of My House and Rocket's Tail.  I would love to
see Kate kick some intruder's butt (I actually picture some sort of
paranormal/magical intruder myself, rather than a physical one), and I
would love to see her fly.

>11. best head apparel (hat)

The Sensual World.  She looks kind of like the Red Queen in _Through
the Looking Glass_, which makes a lot of sense if you think about
"stepping out of the page."  (Not that I think it's intentional;
that's just what the hat makes me think of.)

>12. favorite "guest" artist

Hugh Laurie in Experiment IV.  Yes, I like Donald Sutherland too, but
I thought I'd be different and I do love that scream of his when the
monster comes at him.

This was fun.  It was also very difficult, because I think most of the
videos are amazing and wonderful (with the two exceptions noted
above).  The hardest part was judging something by a video and not by
the song (otherwise, say, Wuthering Heights would have won everything
just by sheer virtue of being such a great song).

Looking forward to more votes...

--
Beannachta!
---Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik----------------------susanhk@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu---