Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: THE Edlos things etc

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 14:20:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: THE Edlos things etc
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, Anthony Kyle Monday wrote:

> Just a quick question: about six months ago, this was a moderated
> newsgroup, wasn't it? What happened?

It's never really been a moderated group. The moderation flag is just
used to bounce the posts to a program that copys all the posts to the
mailing list before posting them to the newsgroup. It's completely
automated and none of the messages are filtered for content, length, etc.

Given the increasing number of commercial posts on the group, active
moderation almost seems like a good idea. Annoying as these posts are to
the newsgroup readers, the ones who really suffer are the ones who get
teh mailing list, especially those who get it in digest format -- no way
to "just hit N".

I haven't seen anyone jumping forward and volunteering to take on that
tedious and unrewarding task, though. Certainly our current
pseudo-moderator has expressed no interest in becoming an active
moderator. And I sure don't want the job.

Stu

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine   |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|