Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Fanaticism

From: akmonday@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Anthony Kyle Monday)
Date: 4 Jul 1995 18:16:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Fanaticism
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <peterw.4.00090E78@mega.com.au>, peterw@mega.com.au (Peter
Walder) wrote:

No, Kate isn't God, nor is she a Goddess, merely a very talented woman. I
think we all saw the slightly annoying side of fanaticism when the
KateManiac showed up a while ago, then posted his poetry. I expect this
level of enthusiasm from fourteen year old girls in regard to Joey
Lawrence or someone, not Kate. And, I think we're all mature adults. Now
please allow me to rail against your musical tastes for a bit.

>           Tori Amos (sorry for mentioning it, I know it's a touchy subject)

Tori's fine.

>           Kate Bush

Duh.

>           The Bushwackers

Unfamiliar.

>           Crash Test Dummies

Ughh...that damn mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm song. They opened for Elvis and the
Attractions last year and were soundly ignored by everyone, and rightly
so.

>           Corduroy

Okay...
>           Depeche Mode

Haven't listened to them seriously in about six years. I always liked
"Black Celebration," though.

>           Exploding Daisies

Don't know.

>           Green Day

I liked Green Day because they were local, though I never liked them that
much. I now hate them, not because of their success, but because the last
time we saw Billie Joe in a bar, he decided to pee on my bestfriend's foot
(and no, she wasn't being obnoxious, she's quite beautiful and nice. Not
the sort of thing you do to a beautiful woman, you know?).

>           INXS (early stuff)

Hate 'em.

>           Chris Isaak

His new album is his best yet. I might be going to see him this evening,
but I fear it's sold out.

>           Billy Idol (especially Cyberpunk)

I liked "REbel Yell."

>           Tom Jones (and in case you are wondering, yes, the early stuff)

Yech.

>           Living Colour

It's too bad they broke up.

>           Manowar

Who?

>           Midnight Oil

I liked everything after "Beds Are Burning." Have you heard their earlier
stuff? THis is a band that's improved a hundred percent.

>           Pet Shop Boys

I hate them. They actually have one song I like, but I don't know what it
is and I haven't heard it in years. Not a big deal.

>           Red Hot Chili Peppers

What I got you gotta get it put it in you?
Give it away now?
Not the most subtle seduction song.
I'm not wild about them.

>           REM (early stuff)

I actually cant' listen to their early stuff anymore, because I listened
to it so much in high school that it kind of bores me (So. Central Rain
excepted). Their last two albums are fantastic, particularly "Automatic,"
which, coincidentally, I just listened to yesterday.

>           Matthew Sweet

People keep telling me to listen to him. I never get around to it.

>           Skunkhour

Who?

>           They Might Be Giants

What's that blue thing doing here?

>           Yello

That one song will forever be a Skittles commercial to me (Oh Yeah).

My own quick list of what I'm listening to that I recommend to everyone,
regardless of their tastes:

American Music Club (sadly now defunct, though lead Mark Eitzel is working
on a solo album with some other members of the band).
Bowie (listening to Low right now)
Charles Mingus
The Chieftans
Ron Sexsmith