Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cocteau Twins/Personal chat

From: James Hogan <James@absfabs.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 1995 22:44:27 GMT
Subject: Cocteau Twins/Personal chat
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Karen Wrote:

>I stand corrected!  I wonder why they'd change musicians to go to UK with
>ads when Kate would probably get more general recognition than here?

Yes the Fruitopia adverts in the uk are most definiately the Cocteau Twins
(E[liz]abeth Frazer being the lead singer). Why the Cocteau Twins ? They are
one of the most successfull independant bands in the UK apart from of course the
Smiths and are a favorite among students even today. Their music is unique and
has be called among other things "etheral". No lyrics are printed and very few
words can be made out, even so it can invoke many emotions. Even John Peel of
Radio 1 fame, has admitted to being moved to tears on hearing "pearly dew drops
drop", which made the top 40. Elizabeth Frazer who is a very private and shy
was horrified of the thought that if the record had got any higher they would
have been asked to appear! I have heard their music as background in many TV
programs including the South Bank Show (I always find this strangely
distrubing). Their music is very suited to the fruitopia image.

For more info visit the following web site:
www.evo.org/html/group/cocteautwins.html
(Just to see the amazing album covers!)

One of the best albums is "Treasure". They now release on fontana. I find like
Kates music it takes a few plays before it gets to you in a big way.

James (Cambridge Uk)

> Anyway, what I'd like to ask is - has anybody here ever had any personal
> communication with Kate?

I'm going to widen this straight away! After a year of living with an X
boyfriend of mine I casually asked if he had spoken to anyone famous as he was
an immigration officer. To my horror he said yes Kate Bush. I said to him had it
ever dawn on him that he was talking to someone who would attempt the 4 minute
mile just to be in the same room as Kate Bush let alone speak to her. He hadn't
even asked for her autograph for me. Made me wonder how much he knew about me,
bearing in mind he was someone who loved Bros and Kylie minogue !

James
Marmite fan UK