Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kat Devlin Sings The Songs Of Kate Bush

From: THE OLIVE-LOAF VIGILANTE <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 19:46:50 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Kat Devlin Sings The Songs Of Kate Bush
To: ecto@nsmx.rutgers.edu
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Kat Devlin did her final performance of her show "Reaching Out: More Songs
Of Kate Bush" at 88's in Greenwich Village yesterday afternoon, and we were
there.  I had no clue what to expect (frankly, I figured it would be pretty
silly), but was quite pleasantly surprised.

The performance was in the small (and frigid) upstairs room of this gay piano
bar/cabaret.  It turned out we didn't really need the reservations we'd made,
but hey.  I think we were the only people who were there just because we were
curious Katefans -- the rest of the 20-or-so members of the audience seemed to
be all friends of Kat's or groupies who had seen every show regardless of the
fact that they had no clue who the hell Kate Bush is.

The show began promptly at 5:30.  Kat was accompanied by pianist/keyboardist/
musical director Ross Patterson, who also provided backing vocals as needed.
She performed:

     Reaching Out
     Kite
     In Search of Peter Pan
     You're The Only One
     The Fog
     Pull Out The Pin
     Army Dreamers
     Strange Phenomena
     All The Love
     Rubberband Girl
     And So Is Love
     Hounds of Love
     Under The Ivy
     Wuthering Heights

Kat did a wonderful job with all of them.  She's not trying to be Kate, she's
just singing her own interpretations of Kate's songs.  The musical parts of
all of them were very recognizable, but they weren't note-by-note reproduc-
tions, either.  And, while her range isn't as wide as Kate's her voice is
excellent: classically trained and clear, with impeccable anunciation.  It was
quite obvious that she knew not just the songs well, but the stories and
inspirations behind them.

It was interesting to see someone else's take on Kate's songs -- hell, it was
interesting just to see them performed live at all!  When you see someone else
sing them, you realize even more just how brilliant a songwriter Kate Bush is
(and, I'm sorry to say, how much weaker songs like "You're The Only One" are
when put up against her earlier work).  Those in attendance who had never
heard Kate's music before were definitely intrigued.

Afterwards Kat chatted with everyone there -- shes's really neat, and, I
daresay, an official Fucking Kate Bush Maniac (tm). :)  We invited her to our
KaTemas party, and she said she really wants to go but she has something
else going on that weekend.  Oh well -- maybe next year. :)

She's working on a show combining both of the shows she's produced so far:
this one concentrated on the "love type stuff", whereas her first show picked
the "angst-type stuff" like "The Infant Kiss", "Babooshka", etc.  Meanwhile,
she'll be back at 88's with this show on July 8 and 15 at 5:30 PM, so if you
missed her this time there's your second chance.  I heartily recommend it -
hey, it's about the closest we'll ever get to the real thing!

|Meredith Tarr                                              meth@delphi.com|
|Boonton, NJ  USA                  finger info at: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu|
|  "Turnips do not invite fan members to sit on their couches on stage."   |
|                                                        -Irvin F. Lin     |