Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kicks & Earthquakes: The Kate--Tori Comparison

From: Magnus Stromgren <masstn95@Student.UmU.SE>
Date: 11 Jun 1995 21:40:42 GMT
Subject: Kicks & Earthquakes: The Kate--Tori Comparison
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.tori-amos

Tori Amos has often been compared to Kate Bush. I've
learned that this comparison is not that popular among
the Tori-community. Why? Classifications are really not
anything strange or suspicious, but just a way of trying
to make sense out of reality. And comparing doesn't
necessarily mean ending up listing points of similarity;
differences can be spotted as well. But are there any
similarities? Yes, actually there are, ranging from the
trivial (like the fact that both artists has four letters
in their first name as well as their surname) to the more
significant (regarding, for example, aspects of career
development, music and lyrics). However, there are differ-
ences as well.

                           *

Kate's "The Kick Inside" was an early debut. Tori's "Little
Earthquakes", on the other hand, can be considered quite the
opposite -- given, of course, that it's correct to label it
her debut album; I'm not sure what the practice is. Anyway,
even if one wanted to count "Y Kant Tori Read" as the first
album, by Kate's standard that as well would be a late start.
(Note, however, that Tori is kind of making up for lost time
by her "manial" behaviour with regard to touring and other
activities in the same vein.)

Notwithstanding "Y Kant Tori Read", "Under the Pink" is
thus Tori's second album. Like Kate's follow-up to "The
Kick Inside" -- "Lionheart" --, it was delivered quite fast
-- although Kate, who later on has been extremely slow in
producing albums, actually was a lot quicker. It was also
-- and here is another striking resemblance -- very much
in the same vein as the predecessor: just as "Lionheart"
was only slightly different in style compared to "The Kick
Inside", "Under the Pink" was no major departure for Amos.
I have the impression, although I'm by no means sure, that
it's more common to put Bush's debut ahead of her follow-up
than the opposite. What the majority opinion is when it
comes to comparing the Tori catalogue I actually don't know.
I'd love to find out.

With her third album, "Never For Ever", Kate's managed
to put out an album that at once represented renewal
as well as coherence. Then followed a remarkable creative
outburst which resulted in her two most accomplished work
to date, "The Dreaming" and "Hounds of Love", both unique
and still very much in the Bush tradition, followed by the
more mediocre -- but still splendid -- "The Sensual World"
and "The Red Shoes". It will certainly be interesting to
see if Tori is about to follow the same path...

                           *

Musically, there is one striking similarity between
Tori and at least the early Kate: the extensive use
of the piano (and related instruments). It seems,
however, that even compared to Kate's early output
-- except for those lovely home demo's -- Tori centres
her songs more firmly on piano arrangements. Consider,
for example, Tori when touring: her piano (together,
of course, with her vocals) is really the main and
often only focus -- at least that was the case when
I attended her Stockholm concert last spring. Also,
the styles of playing are quite dissimilar. While Kate
has kind of a basic approach, Tori's is definitely more
fluent, which perhaps to a certain degree can be
explained by her -- I imagine -- more genuine formal
education on the subject. Anyway, over time Kate devel-
oped a "fuller" sound with more instruments, where the
piano played less a central part. Is that possible --
or even desireable -- in Tori's case?

                          *

Without really making any thorough study, it's apparent
that Tori's lyrics differ a lot from those on at least
Kate's first albums. While Kate's early songs are mostly
either romantic in the more basic sense, as in "Feel It",
"Oh To Be In Love" and "In the Warm Room", or romantic in
the more extended, literary sense, as showcased by the
escapism in "Kite" and "James and the Cold Gun" and the
national pride in "Oh England My Lionheart", Amos' work
to date mainly focuses on -- or at least takes departure
in -- reality, and not infrequently the more gloomy sides
of the human existence -- although I may have misunderstood;
interpreting Amos' lyrics is like solving a riddle, if
not harder ;).

Interestingly, Kate has moved in that direction -- without
any loss in clarity! -- over the years. First the basic
romantic strands started to fade away in favour of a
dominance of a quite sophisticated extended romanticism.
Then the lyrics became more "down-to-earth". "Hounds of Love"
was really the turning point. Side B, the conceptual "The
Ninth Wave", contained the most explicit literary romantic
songs she had (and has) written. Side A, on the other hand,
was more based on reality, and focused to a large extent on
various problematic aspects of relationships.

This may seem strange, but there's a logic to it: Kate was
young when she released her first albums. At that age her
lyrics had certain characteristics. Now she's older, and
therefore her lyrics has changed. Lyrical style seem in
other words in some ways to be related to age. Therefore,
it's really not that surprising that Tori's material more
resembles Kate's later work lyrically, since Kate was so
much younger than Tori when she issued her first records.

                          *

Even though the comparison between Kate Bush and Tori
Amos -- revealing some points of similarity, but also
differences -- is interesting, perhaps there is a risk
that one, by comparing these two particular artists with
one another, obscures other reasonable comparisons that
can be made between Tori (or Kate) and other artists. That
is not desireable. But neither is there, at least as I'm
concerned, any wrong with comparing Kate and Tori. As a
way of trying to make some sense of reality, it's in fact
quite a useful tool.

-- Magnus Stromgren