Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dissent

From: katemaniac@aol.com (KateManiac)
Date: 8 Jun 1995 00:07:13 -0400
Subject: Dissent
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

All:

                                It seems that my expressing an opinion (I
consider informed) WITHOUT using foul language angers plenty of folk. I am
just exercising my right to free speech which is currently under attack
from all quarters. Those of you who take off your headphones long enough
to actually go out and vote may appreciate that the Internet is truly our
last bastion in this regard.
     I come from the "punk generation." That does not mean I have become
conservative in my "old age" (liking The Lady). I adore her music because
she is powerful, sexy, passionate, fabulously talented, has an incredible
range, is a wonderful writer, etc. Flames from the heart fuel this kind of
art. Kate may be the most polite woman in the world (I doubt it), but in
her songs (which she performs to perfection) she is an outright madwoman.
     The politically correct (and those who favor parental controls, the
Clipper Chip, every government agency having the right to read private
e-mail, etc) seem to be greatly disturbed with my opinions to the extent
of writing me private messages basically telling me to get the heck out.
By this they are showing no faith in how art brings people together,
showing zero tolerance in other ideas, being downright old-fashioned and
outmoded (this is the digital age that allows us to even COMMUNICATE out
here, folks).
     This is a PUBLIC FORUM. We may speak as we please here, at least
until the cyber-cops and New World Order police shut us down. Strangely
enough, my PRIVATE e-mail responses to the vituperative tirade that
followed my in-your-face original post have been broadcast all over this
site. Not AS WRITTEN, of course, but turned and twisted and re-configured
by moderately talented self-appointed censors. Is this fair, or even fun?
     I am not an old leaf. I will not dry up and blow away. I love The
Lady's music too much to do that. I will continue to post poetry and other
artistic responses to her incredible work. I will not be used as a digital
"punching bag" by the flaccid-witted old nannies among you.
     As for the silent majority who think The Lady totally ROCKS, who
consider her GODDESS ...  Don't give in to the staid, to the mundane. Open
your windows right now and shout, I love Kate so well and I'm not going to
fake it anymore!!
     Now, that's RIGHTEOUS..

                                                                +
                                                          +   KM   +