Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pat Benatar's Covers

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 14:48:47 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: Pat Benatar's Covers
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Anders makes a good point about seeking out (or not seeking out) other
artists that Pat Benatar covered.

I think that because Wuthering Heights is such an unusual song, one would
be more likely to try to find out more about it. The listener might be
less so inclined for a more "standard" pop song, like the Nick Gilder
cover on her first album. NOTE that I am not insulting Mr. Gilder, who I
have met and who I think is a really talented guy....there is no sin
whatsoever in being able to write a really good pop song!

As I recall, WH was *very* different in form and content than the other
songs on the Benatar album, and that might have been enough to spark some
interest.

At the time I heard it, I had already been enraptured by Ms. Kate's
version. While I can't honestly say that I thought the cover came anywhere
near the power of the original, I admired Pat Benatar for deciding to do
it. I suspect it was the sort of choice that record company suits would
cringe at :)

Cheers, Fiona

Fiona McQuarrie                             fmcquarr@atlas.cs.upei.ca
           School of Business, University of Prince Edward Island

I don't like videos with words in them. If I wanted to read, I'd go to
school.
					- Beavis and Butt-head