Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK. (no news, alas, Meredith)

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 13:36:34 -0400
Subject: MisK. (no news, alas, Meredith)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

 > Second, someone please correct me if I'm hallucinating
 > again, but didn't Kate record "Sexual Healing" specifically
 > for the Marvin Gaye tribute?  Someone who was at last year's
 > KonvenTion please refresh my memory!

Kate's version of "Sexual Healing" was actually a track by
Davey Spillane (the Uillean pipes player on several recent Kate
Bush recordings -- he appears in the "Rocket Man" video), which
was intended for his last solo CD.  For some reason it was
decided not to include the track, so Kate's vocal has so far
only been heard once in public -- at the Convention.  Let's
hope it finds a home soon.

 > It's all she can do to get off her butt to record anything
 > of her own, these days! (Ouch.  Sorry about that...  but am
 > I the only one who finds it frightening that the only infusion
 > of new Kate material we have right now is 30-second snippets
 > in commercials for a vile pseudo-fruit drink?  And that
 > we're all actually getting excited about it? :/)

IED is surprised that Meredith, a longtime Kate Bush fan and
valued member of this august body, should still find it difficult
to gather the vast reserves of patience required for continued
receptivity to the Light of the One True Blue Ray of Kately Orgone.
It is, as she surely must have discovered by now, our role in life
to   w   a   i   t  .  .   .     .       .            .

Besides, if you make an endless tape loop of the Fruitopia tracks
they last a long time indeed.

 > e.g. Nigel Planer (I think) played Charles Bronson playing
 > Ken Livingstone.

   Robbie Coltrane played Bronson playing Livingstone.

 > for a fairly interesting discussion, written by i.e.d.,
 > about these demos, look at
 > http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/garden/catalog.html#demos.

 > woj

   IED blushes with pleasure at such praise.

 > On a compilation CD of Christmas songs the name of which
 > escapes me at the moment, appears Kate's December Will Be
 > Magic Again. However, it is a very different arrangement
 > to the 7" single version. Why is there another version of
 > the song on this compilation and why did Kate record two
 > versions. I have never seen mention of the two arrangements
 > anywhere...

  They have been discussed in this forum several times, and
there is some talk of their differences in The Garden and in
Homeground issues past. The name of the CD is "It's Christmas!".
It was an EMI release. Only the first edition of the CD contains
the rare "alternative" version of the track you mention. The "mistake"
was discovered eventually, and the word is that more recent editions
of the CD feature the familiar single-mix of the song.

The alternative version actually predates the single version. It
was recorded by Kate for a video performance (isn't it included in
the Love-Hounds Collection?) from 1979 called "Abba's Winter Snowtime
Special".  It's sometimes referred to as the "bongos" version.
There is a still earlier version of "December...", featuring Kate
at the piano, from "Kate", the so-called Christmas special (taped in
October 1979).

Wieland inquires about a track called "Turkish Delight", from an
unidentified tape.  Does anyone know what he is referring to?  No
such title presently exists in the canon.  What is the source of
your tape, Wieland?  If you are very confused, e-mail one of us a few
seconds of the track as a WAV or a System 7 sound for identification
purposes.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S        R         I