Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hi folks...

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 12:38:14 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Hi folks...
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Tue, 23 May 1995, Alan wrote:

> music.  I first encountered her when she sang "Them Heavy People" on
> Saturday Night Live, must have been about 16 years ago now.  Anyone
> remember that?

My first lasting exposure to her was her other performance on that show,
_The Man With The Child In His Eyes_. I didn't get seriously into Kate for
years afterward, and I didn't even know who she was at the time, but wow,
the image of that woman in the gold bodysuit sitting on top of a grand
piano and singing in the most awesome voice stuck with me from that moment
on. I hesitate to admit it, but I was about 16 years old then and in
addition to touching me musically, she scrambled my adolescent hormones.
That performance was so sensual I remember being a little overwhelmed by
it at the time. She was like nothing I had ever seen before. It sort of
faded from my memory over the years so that It wasn't until fairly
recently that I re-connected that memory with Kate. I didn't know it then,
but I was destined to be a KateFan. :-)

My later exposures to her came in dribs and drabs -- a video here, a song
there, footage of the Tour of Life concert. The Kate Bush: Live on State
EP that I picked up at a used record store on a whim.

What really got me hooked is when my wife picked up a cassette of _Hounds
of Love_ for me at a yard sale for no apparent reason. I think it was the
hand of God moving her -- it was very uncharacteristic of her. She *never*
buys me tapes, CDs or anything like that. She's only done it once since,
and that was to get the HoL cd (and I think she did it as much for
herself as me).

Not long after we bougth the tape we went on a two-week road trip and
that was one of the tapes we took. We practically wore the thing out
playing it over and over and over on the autoreverse tape deck. Sometimes
for hours at a time.

After I got home, I found rec.music.gaffa on the net and here I am.

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine   |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|