Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hi folks...

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 24 May 1995 00:22:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Hi folks...
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

"Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us> wrote:

> My first lasting exposure to her was her other performance on that show,
> _The Man With The Child In His Eyes_. I didn't get seriously into Kate for
> years afterward, and I didn't even know who she was at the time, but wow,
> the image of that woman in the gold bodysuit sitting on top of a grand
> piano and singing in the most awesome voice stuck with me from that moment
> on...It sort offaded from my memory over the years so that It wasn't until
> recently that I re-connected that memory with Kate. I didn't know it then,
> but I was destined to be a KateFan. :-)

	My first Kateperience was some early eighties video show called
V3 (I think) which is now defunct. They announced a clip of The Dreaming
and said that she'd written, played on and produced the song. I was
intrigued...but, with my early eighties American tastes, did not really
care for the weird seemingly melody-less clip that followed.

	Pat Benatar was my idolstress at the time - YEAH ROCK AND ROLL,
MAN!!! (sorry, flashback.) I'd all but forgotten Kate's video clip when
Ms. Benatar had the good taste to cover Wuthering Heights. "What an ex-
traordinary song!" I thought, and set out to find an album of the 'K.
Bush' who was credited with writing it. Wouldn't you know, the only album
I could find at the time would be the Dreaming!

	I was completely flabbergasted that someone with such a voice and
such obvious talent would put out these ten weird songs! Why? What had she
been thinking? But the more I listened, the more I was hooked. The Dreaming
has since become one of my favorite albums, and I hear something new every-
time I listen to it. I'm a fellow midwestern O-state boy (Oklahoma this
time, not Ohio) who also discovered Kate TWICE whilst in his teens. Quelle
coincidence!

			-- Robb :-)