Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Song not mentioned in the FAQ...

From: stevenf@europa.com (Steven Frank)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 23:21:14 GMT
Subject: Song not mentioned in the FAQ...
To: news3.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

    I have an audio tape, put out by the BBC, of the British comedy show
"Not The Nine O'Clock News".  It is copyright 1978 or '79, if I recall
correctly.  There's a lot of comedy skits on it, as well as music
parodies.  One of them is a song called "England My Leotard", and is
apparently Kate parodying herself.

    I did a quick scan of the FAQ, but I didn't see this mentioned.  It
really is Kate singing.  I don't think anyone can impersonate her quite
that well.  Plus the liner says "Kate Bush Music/EMI".

    Does anyone know any background info on this?

    I'd post the lyrics, but I can't understand all of them.  :)  And I'm
a native Brit...  One of the more humorous lines though, is when she
sings "It's not your mind, it's your body they're into / my business
manager said. / He told me I need an intellect like I need a / hole in
the hole in the hole in the head."

    It is a perfect parody of her musical style during that period.

    Any thoughts?

--
Steven Frank                            |  @  |  Spira Computer Support
stevenf@europa.com                      |_____|  spira@europa.com