Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Stuff and nonsense

From: Robb McCaffree <NSRJM@NURSEPO.MEDCTR.UCLA.EDU>
Date: 24 Apr 1995 23:09:51 GMT
Subject: Re: Stuff and nonsense
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

"J.A.Harkness" <J.A.Harkness@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

> By the way, heard 'Big Love' by Fleetwood Mac (i think) on the radio
> this morning......bears more than a passing resemblance to RUTH......
> Hmmmmm... came out bout the same time too......Which came first, I
> wonder?

Why Running Up That Hill did, of course. Big Love was written by
Lindsay Buckingham who always has his ear to the ground for new and
cutting edge music...in this case, Kate's. The song was released in
'87 (?) and features similar rhythms and keyboards to RUTH as well as
a male/female 'grunt duet' during the song's climax (so to speak).

It was a big hit here in the US for Fleetwood Mac, and many people
wondered which of the group's two female vocalists (Stevie Nicks or
Christine McVie) provided the other voice for the orgasmic vocals. It
was neither -- Buckingham digitally altered his voice to sing both
parts. I hope the irony of singing both parts of an orgasm at the end
of a song with questionable origins isn't lost here. Perhaps it should
have been called 'Big Head.'

			---- Robb