Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Susan (oops) and EctoMUSH (not just for Ectophiles)

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 0:13:14 EDT
Subject: Susan (oops) and EctoMUSH (not just for Ectophiles)
To: ecto@ns2.Rutgers.EDU
Cc: kate:;
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

First, sorry about the false warning about Susan Voelz...she was on
Conan, but not to sing one of her songs...she played violin for
Charlie Sexton.  Ah well.

Second, this is being cross-posted to all the Goddess mailing lists
(IMHO, ok?) and if there's flaming to be done...send 'em to me.  I've
got a dev/null file that's just waiting for 'em (mainly from rdt).

This *is* good information for Tori and Kate and Sarah and Milla and Jane
fans to know/have access to, as well as Happy fans.

Why is this MUSH interesting to anyone other than Ectophiles?  Well,
because it is run in the spirit that Ecto-the mailing list is run.
There are rooms for and discussion is encouraged about all kinds of
different artists.  The rooms need fans to create objects and spread
the word.  You wouldn't believe how empty the Milla, Tori and Sarah
rooms are.  They shouldn't stay that way.  We need fans there!

To give an idea of what one fan can do, I'll use myself as an example.
There's an "Artist Annex" off the main Ecto discussion room.  One of
those rooms is a Jane Siberry room.  I made a link from my suite to
Jane's room (called SIB) and I've created a mini-complex for Jane
fans...it's hard to describe, but imagination is queen in a MUSH,
so imagine...

Leading off the SIB room and my main living room is a room I called
"The Lobby".  From The Lobby, rooms go off into all directions and
all but 1 are Jane-dedicated.  Go one way and you'll enter the "Temple".
Go another way and you'll enter "The Speckless Sky".  There's also

"The Walking"
"No Borders Here"
"Bound By The Beauty"
and
"The Strange Well"

each of these places are "rooms" and contain things.  I've just started
@creating items, but for instance, if you enter "The Strange Well" you'll
see The Magic Beads.  If you type 'wish' the beads start to shimmer and
seem to come alive and you wish "comes true" :-).  In "Bound By The Beauty"
you'll see a "Red Wagon" and if you type 'roll' you can get in and take a
"ride" or float down the river on a raft with a white tent on it in "The
Walking" room.  Imagination abounds, and it's a *lot* of fun to create
these rooms and objects.

Anyone who visits the EctoMUSH can not only create objects, they can
build rooms too (there are a few rules, but you just need to read the
instructions).  Then again, you don't have to create a thing...you can
just wander around and 'look' at things and play with things and talk
to people and have fun that way too.

Someone on rdt objected to the MUSH post because it can get addictive.
Sure it can!  But like anything, moderation is the key.  Anything can
be addictive...it's up to the individual person to watch themselves.

In the meantime, this is the FIRST (that I know about) MUSH area dedicated
specifically to female vocals of the Kate/Happy/Jane/Tori/Sarah/Milla
ilk.  I think people should know about it, and I don't agree that this
type of post is "off-topic" at all.  It's a place for fans of these
women (and others) can meet and mix and congregate, and it's more, MUCH
more interesting than regular irc.

So, at the risk of bringing down the wrath of rdt on my head...I'm sending
these instructions again. I've added some things and deleted others, but
the original was written by Jason.  Now it's my turn to post them.

MUSH isn't hard, once you learn the basic commands.  If you have any
questions, feel free to ask.

This is from the Ecto FAQ

{Ecto MUSH}

Jason Greshes has built an area for Happy fans, and fans of other
female artists (in the spirit of eclectic Ecto).  It's quite
extensive, fun, and worth browsing.  Here's the info:

On unix systems the command is:

telnet caisr2.caisr.cwru.edu 4201  (the "4201" is very important)
                            ^_______don't forget to put this space in.
For vax I believe it is:

telnet caisr2.caisr.cwru.edu/port=4201

You should get the login banner, which gives you the logon options.

In a MUSH you control a character--you give it its name, its
description, you walk around the mush, you pick things up, read things,
look at things, go different direction, and talk to people.

When you first log on you need to create a character for yourself.  So
you do this:

create Nickname password
^^^^^^
For example: create BillyBudd Melville

This will create a character named BillyBudd and he will have the
password Melville.  Next time you telnet to the MUSH, you'll type:

connect Nickname password  (instead of create)
^^^^^^^

You will then proceed down the newbie TRAIL, which will tell you some of
the basic mush commands and help you get a little set up.  Read the
instructions in the TRAIL carefully...they're important.  You'll get
lots of info, such as to talk to others in the same room, type either

say <whatever you want to say> or " <whatever you want to say>

Once you are done with that you should enter a description for your
character.  Do it like this:

@desc me=Billy is handsome and honest, b-b-b-but don't ask tough questions.

Now, if people do

look BillyBudd

they will see that description.

Next, you can walk around a mush by taking the exits it lists for each
room.  If where you are going is far away, going there room by room can
be a pain in the butt.  To get around that there is a command to teleport
to a room.  the ecto mush room is #68340

To get there do:

@tel #68340

@tel is the teleport command, and #68340 is where you want to go. Make
sure to use the @ and the # signs in your command, and copy the spacing
exactly--there should be no space between @ and tel and # and 68340.

You will appear in the ecto room.  So you don't get lost, there are no
doorways to *outside* of the ecto area, just the ones that lead to other
parts of the ecto area.

There are a couple of signs there for you to read.  Type  read <sign>

You can look at any object by doing:  look <object>

the < > mean fill in the blank with the object name, such as sign.  DO
NOT TYPE < and >

For instance:

look here      (will give you an overview of the entire room)
look <player>  (will give you a description of the player you name)
look guestbook (an example of something that's actually in the ecto room)

Also, you need to type enough of the name for the mush to tell which you
mean.  For example, if there is a Red Sign, a Blue Sign, and a Yellow
Sign, typing

look sign

won't get you too far.

look yellow sign

will tell you what the yellow sign says.

There are lots of exits in the ecto room, go exploring and have fun!

You can go anywhere in the entire ecto complex...everything is public.  If
someone creates a room that they don't want you in, it will be locked and
you can't get in...so don't worry about being in the "wrong" place.  You'll
know if you're not supposed to go somewhere.

In the anteroom is a receptionist that will take any messages for me (Jason)
so if I'm not around and you have a suggestion, comment, complaint, etc.
just leave it with her.  When you walk in she'll give instructions on how
to work with her.  (Yes, on a mush you can create fake people that can do
things.)  There are 2 fake "people" in the Ecto room at all times: Angela
(who will play music for you and get you food and drinks) and Damon (who
will also take a message for Jason), so always type  look <name> to see
who's real and who's fake.

The other thing you have to do is:

@link me=here

This will make the ecto room your home on the mush.  That way if you
decide to explore the mush more, you can type

home

and get get back to the ecto room if you get lost.  Another thing this
does is that the next time you connect, it will send you automatically
to the ecto area, so you don't have to @teleport there everytime you
connect.

Btw, when I say type whatever, I mean type whatever and hit return.
Wouldn't want anyone to be sitting there for half an hour staring at
connect Me Password with the cursor blinking at the end of the line.

					jason

(thanks Jason!)