Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lisa Germano

From: Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <dmckiern@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 18:53:57 -0700
Subject: Re: Lisa Germano
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Two albums by Lisa Germano are currently IP.

     Happiness

       1. Bad Attitude         8. The Earth
       2. Destroy the Flower   9. Around the World
       3. Puppet              10. Sycophant
       4. Everyone's Victim   11. Miamo-Tutti
       5. Energy              12. The Dresses Song
       6. Cowboy              13. The Darkest Night of All
       7. Happiness

     Geek the Girl

       1. My Secret Reason     7. Sexy Little Girl Princess
       2. Trouble              8. Phantom Love
       3. Geek the Girl        9. Cancer of Everything
       4. Just Geek           10. A Guy like You
       5. Cry Wolf            11. ...of Love and Colors
       6. ...a Psychopath     12. Stars

The album =Happiness= is a combination remix/rerelease.  I'd very
much like to get a copy of the original.  I prefer the version of
=The Dresses Song= which had earlier release.

Additionally.  Germano provides strings on albums from the Devlins
(=Drift=), the Indigo Girls, John Mellencamp, and Mere Mortals
(=Abilene=).  Additionally, someone reported that she did so for
Simple Minds; I don't have a title for that album, for the albums
from Mellencamp, nor for the album(s) from the Indigo Girls.  I
don't know whether there has been other work with the Devlins or
with Mere Mortals.  I don't know whether she's collaborated with
others.

Germano gets no airplay in San Diego of which I'm aware.  When I
first sought =Geek the Girl=, I was told that both albums had to be
special-ordered.  However, both are now in stock in at least the
UCSD area.

Recently the major daily had an article mentioning Germano.
Unfortunately, it was an article reducing to one dimension the
(female) musicians about whom it reported, and even in that one
dimension it was a distortion. (Kate Bush was not, that I recall,
one of the other victims.)

Germano's music is quite different from that of Kate Bush.  Germano
doesn't exhibit the vocal range that does Bush.  Stylistically, her
songs are far less melodic; this is largely a reflection of the fact
that her music is far more bitter.  Germano's lyrics are also more
coherent.  At the risk of caricature, I'd say that Germano is
someone who cares about much the same sort of things as does Bush,
but no longer thinks them attainable.

          It's always Dark.  Light only hides the Darkness.

          Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan           (619) 535 - 0546
          athanatos@UCSD.edu   132.239.147.2    <75013,676>