Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fruitopia On Ice (skating fans hear Kate)

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 95 23:23:17 EDT
Subject: Fruitopia On Ice (skating fans hear Kate)
To: kate:;
Cc: ecto:;
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Today in America, NBC broadcast the delayed telecast of the Exibition
("Gala") performances from the 1995 World Figure Skating Championships
from Birmingham, England.  Fruitopia ads were shown twice during the
2 hour brouadcast, one in each hour.

The first one was the Ice Tea ad that was shown during the Academy
Awards.  The 2nd one was new, I think, but didn't seem to specify
any particular flavor.  Since I haven't seen all the ads from the
last campaign, I suppose I can't say for sure that the 2nd one is
new.  I can't find IED's master list of the ads shown.  The main
reason I say it's new is that the date at the end says 1995, but
I don't know if that's put there for when the ad is made, or when
the ad is broadcast.

I missed the beginning of it, but what I do have features the words
"in fruit integration.  people could learn a lot from fruit" and
shows, as usual, a variety of fruits, while heavy on the grapes,
pineapples and apples.  Near the end, 8 different bottles of Fruitopia
are shown in kaliedoscope...then the psychedelic "Fruitopia" signs, then
the words "for the" and then an abstract of a mind.  Oooh, deep.  So,
Fruitopia's kinda like fish then, eh?

If I were musical I'd try and describe the music, but I'm not, so I
can't.  It sounds vaguely Sakamoto-ish, with the beat going...

boomboom....boomboom....boom....boomboom....boomboom....boom

The music sounds flute/whistle-ish, and I swear I hear, twice, train
whistles.

The vocals are high-pitched and child-like, but when listening on
headphones the vocals are literally shouts, only with the volume
on the mix turned down.  I can't make out what she's saying, but
I swear it sound like "HI HI JUICE!" :-)

Wellio, that's not much of a description, but it'll do.  I think aiming
those 2 ads at skating audiences was a very smart move, except for the
fact that the music in the Fruitopia ads was much better than any of
the music the skaters used.  (Love skating...hate most of the music used)

Vickie

ps, the cable channel Lifetime aired a special called "Rocking The Boat II"
about the crew of America3 and someone on the staff has great taste in
music.  Thought they weren't credited, Lisa Germano's music and Toni
Childs' music was used in the program.  ("These Boots Were Made For
Walking" by Lisa...yeah, I know it's not her music...and "The Woman's
Boat, of course, by Toni.)