Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Rickie Lee?

From: gprimm@vnet.net (Gregg Primm)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 13:38:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate and Rickie Lee?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <60.1599.5789.0C1DA8EF@canrem.com>, del.allan@canrem.com (Del Allan) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows of a mailing list that discusses
>Rickie Lee Jones?

I love it -- another RLJ fan that _also_ loves Kate!  I've been a
near-religious devotee of RLJ for years, now (although I've never
seen her live :-( ).  Don't know of a mailing list, though....

>I've been a big fan for years, (although Kate is nearer and dearer).
>Rickie's last album, 'Traffic From Paradise', 1993, is excellent. Two
>of the songs were featured in the film, 'When a Man Loves a Woman'.

And featured to excellent effect, I might add.

>I think that most people have forgotten this Grammy winning artist, and
>that is unfortunate, because her music has gotten so much better since
>that dated 1979 hit, 'Chuck-E's In Love'.

Dated?  I don't know, I think it still sounds great!  However, her
music has certainly changed significantly (matured, I would say) since
her first album all those years ago.  Her new stuff (especially TfromP)
is certainly more thoughtful and experimental, but her early work was
so full of flat-out emotion that it's impossible for me to compare her
recent music with her early stuff.

I think on TfromP, RlJ finally managed to combine her emotional singing
with the more experimental song style that she first tried out on The
Magazine.  Whereas Flying Cowboys had more "normal" song structures,
TfromP is all over the place, and it _all_ works.

>The Ob Kate:  I've always thought that Kate and Rickie would sound
>great together...well, at least they would sound *interesting* together.

Yeah -- I'd say "interesting" -- can't say I've ever really wanted to hear
them sing together, though.  I think their voices would _not_ work together
at all.  But with two such brilliant talents, who knows?

Take care,

-- Gregg!