Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Who's Kate Bush?

From: pmr0424@utarlg.uta.edu (PAUL M RUSSELL)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 15:24 CDT
Subject: Who's Kate Bush?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

	Aha! I thought that subject might get your attention!

    Those were indeed the words spoken by me seven years ago. I had gone to
a party in Houston, Texas, and sometime during the night had managed to
hook up with a woman who invited me back to her dorm room. After mixing up
some incredibly tasty vodka and cranberry/apple concoctions she put on some
music. I found myself intrigued by the music she had chosen. Very different
from the heavy_metal_drink_till_you_vomit music that had been at the party.
    This was melodic, but not sappy. The structure of the songs reminded
me of some of the more complex symphonic pieces I had heard, but on the
surface was a danceable/singable/whateverable song! Wow.(no pun intended!)
   What a first impression. I asked Jill what she had put on the stereo.
She replied, "Kate Bush.  Never Forever." At that point I should have just
kept my mouth shut. But Nooooooo! I went right ahead and said(and I blame
the vodka) "Who's Kate Bush?" Boy. Talk about a quick chill developing in
the room! I pled youth and intoxication. Jill wasn't buying it. Finally,
after an interminable period,(and this time I thank the vodka) she said,
"Do you like it?" Being no fool, I quickly replied in the affirmative, but
there was more to it than just trying to make amends so I could make amour!
I really did like it! After years of having to put up with the likes of
Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Loverboy, etc. etc. this was more than a breath of
fresh air, this was a musical CPR!
    So. Seven years and an entire Kate CD collection later, I am still in
debt to Jill. So, If you're out there, and I assume you are, Thanks again
for opening up a door into another world.
    On a side note, it's incredibly hard to get any videos, living in the
cultural blight that Texas is. I recently bought the Hammersmith Live video_
CD package, but that and The Line The + The ) are the ONLY ones I have
found here. If you have any suggestions, please email. There is, however,
a benefit to being a Kate_o_phile living in the Lone Star State. I love the
confused stares I get from people while driving around in a Chevy 1500 pickup
with The Sensual World playing LOUDLY! Blows their minds.
    Incidentally, my birthday is (No Shit!) July 30. I love life's little
coincidences!
                            Later, Y'all! (Postmodern Texanese for goodbye)

                             Matt Russell

PMR0424@utarlg.uta.edu       "sigs? We don' need no steenking sigs!"