Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on a.m.p.

From: jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 02:04:20 -0700
Subject: Re: Kate on a.m.p.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.89.9504051642.B29877-0100000@abaco>,
James R Baxter <cn1139@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>There has been a healthy discussion about Kate on alt.music.progressive.
>When I first saw the subject, I automatically assumed that the prog fans
>would have a field day.  I heard the horrors of the person talking about
>Liz Phair was mentioned.  It's refreshing to see other hard-core prog
>fans enjoy Kate as well.
	"Refreshing?"  I'm not sure what you mean.  Personally, I
don't find it at all surprising that there are a lot of folks on a.m.p.
who are very into Kate.  She has, after all, produced some extremely
innovative and experimental music with albums like _The Dreaming_ and
with "The Ninth Wave" portion of _Hounds of Love_.  When I first heard
Kate, the prog portion of my aesthetic soul was the part that responded the
most.  I suspect that the same is quite true for a lot of other folks as
well, who realize that Kate has produced some beautiful and complex
music that really transformed the boundaries of popular music.  I'd
be willing to bet that the overlap of readership on a.m.p. and on
this group (and on alt.music.ecto) is relatively high.

        --  Jim C.

| James A. Chokey                            jchokey@leland.stanford.edu |
|     The infinite, expressed finitely, is the essence of beauty	 |
|                                            ---  Schelling              |