Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sarah's Interactive CD

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sarah's Interactive CD
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

For those of you who are Sarah fans, I have looked at the new multi-media
CDROM and find it to be an interesting glimpse into the future of music
CDs.  It contains original drafts (i.e. demo versions) of 7 or 8 tracks
from Fumbling Towards Ecstasy which can be played on regular CD, along
with a multimedia program that has Sarah speaking about her various
albums, very twitchy copies of a few videos, a catalogue for ordering
some snazzy merchandise, etc.  It is graphically appealing,
well-organized, a lot of fun to hear Sarah talk about the evolution of
her work and various particular songs.

Even on my fairly powerful system the video is, well, twitchy.  Tends to
skip sections, freeze up, etc.  I would have to diddle around for a few
minutes turning off all TSR programs and changing various configurations
to probably get the best video.  Seems like too much work that would then
need to be undone.  But the idea is good.

The multimedia section can apparently be run on either PC or Mac, and
comes with a new copy of QuickTime, so you get a little software as well.

The most interesting aspect of this thing is that it is a taste of what
is going to soon be an avalanche in the music industry.  It makes me
wonder what Kate might be capable of in this medium, considering her
genius with music and images.

Gosh, I remember reviewing Sarah's first and second albums way back when,
and now she's doing multimedia!

Karen  kln@crl.com