Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Robb on Fruitopia

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 18:53:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Robb on Fruitopia
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Robb writes:

 > I didn't even know the dang thing was still running
 > ...or that Kate wrote..or sang on it until I read it here.

 > I do remember remarking when I saw it a year ago
 > (at least) that it sounded like Eat the Music, but
 > now I don't remember. Anybody have it on tape or
 > know when it will air again?

Not it, they. The first go-round of Fruitopia ads included
ten different ads, comprising a total of nine pieces of music by
Kate Bush. If we can extrapolate from that first ad campaign,
then we should expect to see these new ads -- if indeed there
are more than the one ad we saw during the Oscars -- on Fox &
Comedy Central during prime time and on all the networks during
the late-night period, as well as assorted local stations. The
first campaign had the ads on for about three months in all,
then for a while they just didn't seem to appear.  Thanks to
the kindness of another Love-Hound (sorry, IED doesn't
remember offhand who it was) who forwarded to him last year's
news flash on the new ad campaign, there should be a total
of at least four more new Fruitopia flavors. This may or may
not mean four more new Fruitopia ads have been made -- after
all, a flavor called The Grape Beyond was introduced along
with the other original flavors, but no Kate Bush ad
ever appeared (nor was one made, according to trade reports)
to accompany that flavor. Also IED thinks it is significant
that in this news report three flavors are mentioned, yet
none of these was the Iced Tea flavor which the new spot
heralded during the Oscars.

All IED's attempts to discover in advance where and when Fruitopia ads could
be expected to appear on TV have proved bootless.  If anyone can elicit such
information from any television station or advertising agency, please, please
do so! It would save all of us a lot of trouble. In the meanwhile, IED is
afraid we will have to resume our ongoing program of blanket
monitoring of TV stations.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S        R         I