Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Night Scented Stock

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 95 18:28:48 +0200
Subject: Re: Night Scented Stock
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Keith wrote:
> The title of the piece, "Night-scented Stock," is probably derived from the
> plant of the same name [...]

Yep, that's what I found out a long, long while ago while trying to understand
that song title. In German it translates to "Nachtschattengewaechs", which,
retranslated by word to English means "Night Shadow Plant".

> Unlike "gaffa," "night-scented" is relatively easy to track; however, I
> wrote, '. . .is probably derived. . .' because one never knows what Kate
> might have in her magic bag of lyric tricks.

;-). Maybe we should check out the *lyrics* of the song...

> My obviously limited knowledge of the flower is based on my dilettante's
> interest in perfumery.

It's still more unlimited than mine. Thanks for the Latin names etc.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]