Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Night Scented Stock

From: kpd000@colum.edu (Keith DeWeese x422)
Date: 30 Mar 1995 20:44:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Night Scented Stock
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Anders,

The title of the piece, "Night-scented Stock," is probably derived from the
plant of the same name and also known as MATTHIOLA BICORNIS.  The plant
is related to MATTHIOLA INCANA or, simply, stock. More common names for
stock are gilliflower, gulliflower, and gutter flower.  Another flower
sometimes referred to as "night-scented" is tuberose--it's aroma
increases after night-fall.  If I recall, mustard is of the same family.

Unlike "gaffa," "night-scented" is relatively easy to track; however, I
wrote, '. . .is probably derived. . .' because one never knows what Kate
might have in her magic bag of lyric tricks.

My obviously limited knowledge of the flower is based on my dilettante's
interest in perfumery.

Best wishes,

Keith