Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kristen Hersh

From: denneuli@lifl.fr
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 12:14:07 +0100
Subject: Re: Kristen Hersh
To: dcfodor@ucdavis.edu
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hello,

>a friend of mine who lives in Isreal recommended Kristen Hersh to me over
>six months ago, and i jut recently bought her last album, Hips and
>Makers....and i really like it--strange and moody and very basic, and
>decidedly good.  The thing is, i remember seeing some other cd in her
>section at the store and i haven't seen it anyuwhere else since...

I agree with you that Kristin Hersh is an interesting and intriguing artist.
<rambling mode on>
I can't read an issue of "Shade, the changing man" without listening to "Hips
and makers". I think the weird atmosphere of the book fits perfectly with the
strange and somehow intimate sound of her music.
<rambling mode off>

She has made only one solo album as far as I know. The "your Ghost" CD single
contains 3 songs that aren't on the album.
There's an other CD single called "strings" which contains 5(?) songs from "hips
and makers". I don't have it so can't tell if they are different than the
album's version.

>So, if anybody here is a Kristen Hersh fan i'd really appreciate it if
>you would tell me if she has any other albums out, what they're called,
>and how they compare to Hips and Makers...

She's the lead singer and main composer of The throwing muses, a band published
by 4ad. Their last album is called "University" and is very good, more "rock"
than her solo album but definitly worth trying. I like "Hunkpapa" a lot too.
I don't have a complete discography at hand but it can be found on ftp.uwp.edu
(or its mirrors). Let me know if you can't get it, I'll send it to you.

Here's the url of a Kristin Hersh page:
http://www.rau.ac.za/Music/Kristin_Hersh/index.html

Hope this helps,

-- Yves.