Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gaffa, etc.......ho-hum

From: "J.A.Harkness" <J.A.Harkness@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:24:53 +0000
Subject: Gaffa, etc.......ho-hum
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Dearest Love-hounds,

This is in no way intended as a flame, merely an observation.
When I was at school doing O level English, we had to do a number of
shakespeare texts as part of the syllabus.  Each play was disected
into clause and sub-clauses and the whole  'meaning' of the play
examined, re-examined, argued over and eventually killed.  Stone dead.

Part of the thing with our Wills Literary works was that there seems
to be a synergy thing going on.  The sum was  much more than the
product of its parts.  Disecting the stuff killed that synergy and it
became just words.  A sad fate when you apply it to Kate, yes?

Let me put it another way.  (engage hippy s*** mode)  A butterfly in
a case with a pin through its back is still a butterfly.  But its
dead!  It pinned down, it's scrutinised, it's still the same
colour/s,it's still beautiful,  its available for everyone to 'ooh' and  'aah'
over.....but it's dead.

While I completely understand and accept that discussion of Kate's is
what we're all here for, don't you think the whole gaffa thing is :
a) getting more than a bit anal, and
b) in danger of explaining one of Kates finest songs out of
    exsistance?

Personally I still can't enjoy A Winters Tale, The Tempest or
Othello.  I don't particulary want that to happen to Kates Music,
too.
Just a thought...............

Will Yum! at the above address...